Friday, October 24, 2008

Day 482s interests


As you all know Jennifer is the super-decorator of our household. My job in the marriage is not to decorate, but to give suggestions. Sometimes I overstep my boundaries which usually results in an end product that is less than stellar (but always cheaper). Other times Jennifer ends up liking my input and she lets me buy things all by myself without even watching over my shoulder.

Two things that I enjoy browsing for are antique maps/prints and antique books. Today we're going to talk about books.

Every time we go to an antique store I make a b line to this section. Most of the time there's just a "book" section. These are my favorites because I get to scour each and every shelf, nook, and cranny to find something that tickles my fancy. Most people don't have the patience to do this so there's always some little treasure hidden in there that no one took the time to notice.


I'd like to post some pictures of some of my recent finds, but Jennifer took the camera and the memory card on which those pictures are saved. Instead take a gander at the 1st Edition, 1st Printing of Catcher in the Rye pictured above. A famous title like that in mint condition will fetch about $3,000 to $4,000 which is way out of our budget, but one can always wish for better days and money to burn in the future, right? Also, as of this posting there is a complete set of Harry Potter 1st Edition 1st Printings (UK) on eBay for $25,000. If you're super rich and love this blog feel free to place a bid. If you win them for us I'll take one for the team and pay the shipping.

Feel free to share info on any of your antique collections/interests in the comments section.

4 comments:

milly (elephants&redwoods) said...

I found this in a magazine that you might like... My husband and I collect antique maps!!

http://elephantsandredwoods.blogspot.com/2008/09/milly-pages-interiors.html

megan said...

I love the look and smell of old books. You and Jenn need to make it over to Scott's one weekend. There are 3-4 vendors that are stictly maps. We always stop and look, but haven't found a purchase yet. There a couple that have old prints or images from old books. And a lot of vendors have books.
You both would enjoy it!

Kristin said...

Been following along here for a while, wanted speak up. GREAT BLOG! Hope you both don't mind - I linked to your 'find it fast, kitchens' today in my latest post. I would have emailed you but I coulnd't find your email addy.

You can find it here:
http://www.casareveal.com/2008/10/fridaykitchen-love.html

Pink Wallpaper said...

jennifer, i couldn't find your email address to email you but i was wondering if you could recommend any birmingham designers...a friend of mine is looking for one....thanks- Shannon