Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Day 549's cheap art

John over at This Young House stole a little bit of my thunder today with his post about using calendars to add to his art collection.

I used a similar idea this Christmas in one of my gifts to Jennifer. Last year, you'll remember that I got her the "Cabinet of Natural Curiosities", a book that apparently every design loving girl must have on her coffee table. It makes me a little queasy to rip pages out of a $60 coffee table book and frame them for the wall. So this year I searched through Amazon and found the following book.

I hadn't seen it in a bookstore before so I had no idea what the prints were like inside, but for $16 I was willing to take a chance. Heck, even if there's only 3 or 4 good pages it would be worth it.

Many of the pages contain images of reptiles, shells, and plants. Others are filled with some pretty crazy stuff you'd find at the bottom of the ocean. Some are very vibrant and colorful while others are black and white. I haven't finished looking through the whole thing, but I'm pretty confident that the talented Mrs. Bonds can find at least a few pages to cut out and frame for a cheap and easy way to spruce up the guest bedroom or office. I bet she'll even put some shells or eggs in the bathroom if I ever finish renovating it. If you're interested there are two more books that I found on Amazon while writing this post. If you buy them let us know if they're worth the investment.

6 comments:

John@ThisYoungHouse said...

Didn't mean to steal your thunder, Wes. Great minds must think alike! Good score with that $16 book, btw. I'd say it's a great match to the expensive original.

-John

paula said...

love this idea so much and the cheaper price tag is definitely winner.

Cheryl said...

I love this book, I have it on my coffee table! I also happened to find a book of the art that you can tear out at Barnes & Noble (after I bought the book) for a great price which I cannot remember now... definitely under $10 :)

Beth Anne said...

I have a book you're more than welcome to tear pictures out of. It's a very large "coffee table" dog book. Let me know if you're interested.

megan said...

Great pick! I can't wait to see them framed.

Lauren said...

Oh great post!!! I wish I'd read it before I attacked my Natural Curiosities book- hahaha