Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day 495: rehearsal dinner details

Courtesy of Kimball Hall

While in Atlanta for a wedding last weekend, I had the pleasure of visiting lovely Kimball Hall, as it was the site of the after-rehearsal dinner. The two-story Queen Anne-style house dates to the 1880's and is now a charming place for small events and gatherings. In true old-house-loving fashion, I took as many photos of the house as I did of the lovely bride and groom and our friends. At least now I can use the excuse "it's for my blog!"

If I had life my way, this is exactly the kind of structure my kids would grow up in. There's something about an old, gracious house that just says home to me -- especially when the porch ceiling is covered with beaded board painted Robin's egg blue.


The house is sparsely and simply decorated with just a couple of antique pieces that feel right at home without intruding on the decor of the events. This handsome buffet greets visitors just after they pass through the original door with its beautiful transom windows.


A wall has been removed between the two front rooms to create one long buffet room. And I must interject here that the meal that was served on these tables was probably the best I have ever eaten! It was kind of "new Southern" with beef brisket with cranberry relish, pecan and goat cheese salad, twice-baked new potatoes, roasted vegetables, and more. And the dessert! Apple pie, peach-and-blueberry cobbler, etc., all served with homemade ice cream. Divine.*


This simple hearth was over-flowing with white pumpkins; perfect for an October wedding event.


In the new ballroom addition, the tables were decorating simply with mint julep cups filled with flowers in autumnal tones -- sunflowers, zinnias, seeded eucylptus, mums, bittersweet, and even little orange peppers -- and flanked by votives.

Photo by Charles E. Walton IV for Southern Accents

I have always thought that antique mint julep cups would make a lovely collection (Karen Carroll, editor-in-chief of Southern Accents, has one), and now I feel inspired to get started. A quick e-bay search finds them at all price points, though I will definitely read this article again before making any purchases.

*I do not know the caterer, but I'm sure I can find out if you are curious or are planning something in the area. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Porch ceilings in the South are painted haint blue (similar to robin's egg blue) to ward off evil spirits.

Jennifer said...

I know all about it, that is my favorite Southern tradition!

Unknown said...

my mom is from KY so we have lots of mint julep cups....they are so fun and timeless.

Anonymous said...

I'm getting married there, Kimball Hall uses caterer Sally Nichols.