Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 654's first house love

Much ado has been made in blogland over the Georgetown townhouse of Alexandra Wentworth and George Stephanopolous, published in the current issue of Elle Decor. While it is quite lovely, I am reminded of my love for their East Hampton home, which was published a few years ago (by either Elle Decor or InStyle Home, I can't remember which). Designer Elizabeth Martin is responsible for the interiors in both homes.

In the living room, every shade of blue imaginable is paired with wicker furnishing for a decidedly -- but not literal -- beachy feeling.


This kitchen spurred my love of white kitchens, if I recall correctly. I still love the pale blue walls, that gorgeous antique piece used as an island and all of the cottage details. I also find it interesting that the ceiling is a sand color, instead of the usual white.


The walls of stairwell are filled with mirrors of every shape and size. I imagine this is a pretty simple and budget-friendly decorating trick, to gather old frames at thrift stores and the like, and have mirrors cut to fit.


The bedroom walls are the perfect shade of blue-green. I've got to track this color down!


And their daughters' room is perfectly sweet. I thought this was too funny: It is a well-known fact that our first daughter's (should we have one) name will be Elliot (family and friends already refer to her by name) and I've recently added her fictional sister, Harper, to the line-up. I just read that George and Alexandra's daughters' names are ... Elliot and Harper! Did I subconsciously retain that information from the Elle Decor/InStyle Home spread that I so loved? Who knows, but so much for originality!

12 comments:

Amy said...

Too funny about the names! I announced on Easter that I've added Eli (boy, but close to Elliot!) and Harper (girl) to the name list for my non-existent children. I too am feeling rather un-original.

Anonymous said...

I did think it was a little strange when you mentioned naming our kids Stephen and Stephanie Opolous Bonds the other day.

erika said...

love love love it all!!!! cute names too!

Gillian said...

That is the most perfect shade of blue green. If you figure it out please post! :)

paula said...

that kitchen is beautiful and I love the huge photo over the sofa.

megan @ a life's design said...

Adorable names! And the house is so great! I love all the shades of blue, the sand color on the ceiling, and the mirror filled staircase!

My Notting Hill said...

This house is gorgeous. The Home section of the Washington Post ran an article on their Georgetown house a few weeks ago but I like this one even better.

bradget said...

Wow. I thought I was being so original with those names! To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book and my husband and I have loved the name Elliot since we first met (both fans of ET). Dang.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Love that house... and Elliot is one of our family names that we love. I love it for a girl- Michael loves it for a boy... so we shall see! And I also love the name Harper. I about fell out of my chair when I read those two names on your blog! :)

LindsB said...

love that stairwell, all the mirrors together are so fun!

MissKarenAshley said...

I'd love to know if you ever track down the bedroom wall color. It's perfection. Such a good shade. Let me know if you do.

K

www.simplylovelyideas.blogspot.com

Under a Green Roof said...

I love that house too! The island in the kitchen is perfection!!!