Monday, August 3, 2009
Day 765's paint story
You may remember that we've painted the office before. We went back and forth on a colors for months, and finally settled on what we thought was a dark gray. It turned out to be kind of blue -- denim, almost -- and very, very dark. It didn't take long to decide that we don't "do dark." Our rooms are small and the office started to feel cave-like. I know that is appealing to some, and I love to see it in print, but it just didn't work for us. Lesson learned!
Wes was dying to re-paint, but I had a little list of things I wanted to get done before we re-did anything. He patiently helped me through that list and before I knew it, it was time to focus on the office again. I eventually got a vision for it, and we settled on painting it green.
Green is tricky. The first green we tried was Ben Moore's Guliford Green. I didn't think you could go wrong with the Historical Collection, but, oh, you can! I wasn't quite green enough, and actually looked a lot like the yellow-beige that was on every wall in the house when we moved in. Ugh.
Wes came to the rescue and chose Saybrook Sage and I must say, he did a great job! It is perfect and exactly what I was trying to get in the first place. It's definitely green, but it has a little gray in it, and isn't cheesy, which is easy to get with green.
In between coats of paint, we built a new desk for the room. We used lumber left over from the tables we built for my sister's wedding, and I took the fabric off of them to use on the desk. I still need to finish the hem, but I am so pleased with it. And it really was simple. I took lots of photos of the skirting process and will show them soon, I promise. Not bad for a weekend's work!