Monday, February 22, 2010

Easy Homemade Doughnuts


I'm almost embarrassed to share this recipe, because number 1, it's not really a recipe, and number 2, there are plenty of more sophisticated versions available that actually qualify as homemade (I've been wanting to try this one). But, you asked, and so you shall receive (good thing I took pictures just in case).


For these doughnuts you will need: a can of biscuits (find them with crescent rolls at the grocery store), milk, confectioner's sugar, vanilla and shortening (or whatever you want to fry them in -- did I mention they are fried?!).

First, heat the oil over medium-high. If you have candy thermometer, you want it to be at about 350 degrees. I don't and just use the doughnut holes as a gauge (more on that later).

Separate the biscuits and -- here's where it gets technical -- use whatever you can find to cut a hole out of the middle. If you have small cookie cutter, you are set. I used an empty (and clean) Pelligrino bottle (though it was kind of hard to get the holes out). My mom uses an old prescription bottle. What ever you use, you want the holes to be about the size of a quarter so they don't completely close when cooking. You can stretch them a little if you need to.


If you aren't measuring your oil temperature, fry a couple of the cut out holes first. They should brown evenly and slowly and not create a lot of grease "pop" when you drop them in. Add the doughnuts in batches. They cook very quickly -- about a minute on the first side, and a little less on the second. Unless your oil is too hot, the inside should be cooked through. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place them on a paper-towel lined plate.


The icing is very simple. I don't measure and do it by feel, but you really can't mess it up. Take a cereal bowl-full of confectioner's sugar and add milk, about a tablespoon at a time, and whisk until it is slightly stiff. You want it to be loose enough to be able to cover the doughnuts, but thick enough to stick (again you can test with the holes). Add a splash of vanilla if you like. Drop the doughnuts in, cover with icing, then drain on a cooling rack. If you'd like a tangy, citrusy icing, try a splash of orange juice. Enjoy with a big glass of milk!

19 comments:

KatiePerk said...

You are evil for posting this. Now I need a doughnut. These look amazing!!

Anonymous said...

I actually have all the ingredients in my cupboards so I am thinking this would be a great desert! Thanks - I love easy recipes ~
Sarah

katy elliott said...

They look great. Yum!

Suz said...

Thanks for sharing. They look great!

Kat said...

These look sooo good!! Can't wait to make them!

boops said...

pass the milk!

Blair said...

oh yum! oh, wait.... oh, NO! now i'm going to be eating a lot of donuts! oh, well:). thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
blair

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

OMG!!!! Guess what I'm making this Saturday! Guess it's extra time at the gym this week! Wow they look yummy!

Amelia said...

We expecting a slew of visitors over the next few months and I'm running out of breakfast ideas - this is perfect!!! And there's definitely not a Dunkin' Donuts or Krispy Kreme in the British Virgin Islands! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh goodness! Not so good for a pregnant hungry woman! :) But, so simple can't wait to try and make these! Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

holy cow these look amazing!!!! thanks so much for sharing - i love breakfast ideas for company. :)

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

oh my goodness. i have been constantly thinking about your strawberry icing since last week... and now this. Baby C is going to be well fed (w/ sweets)!

bluehydrangea said...

Are you trying to torture me? These look fabulous!!!

Arlynn said...

Yea! Thanks SO much for sharing... I'm whipping up a batch of these for sure :-)

Mary Beth said...

Ah! I'm totally making these. David is going to do cartwheels! :-)Thanks!

Pink Wallpaper said...

why do you do this to a pregnant woman!!

Unknown said...

Oh my.... those look delicious, and that really sucks for me

Totty said...

thanks for the recipe!!
I made them this past weekend and they were awesome!
Check out my blog post. I linked to your site.
Thanks again!
Totty
www.bootsandtotty.com

Cath said...

These are the best doughnuts in my opinion. Maybe because they are the first doughnuts I learned to make at Girl Scout camp when everyone {ok maybe just me} was incredibly hungry all the time OR maybe because they provide instant gratification, either way Yum!