Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Slippery Slope of DIY


Sometimes projects go easily and smoothly but other times ... not so much. And in a 50-year-old house you just never know what you're going to find behind door number one. Or, in this case, behind an ugly light fixture.

We took one down in the kitchen last Sunday afternoon and this is what we found. I didn't even take a photo of the old one because merely changing a light fixture seemed so inconsequential at the time. Oh the slippery slope ...


While trying to secure the junction box (so that the new fixture will hang straight) the ceiling started to crumble. Lovely!


Okay, so a simple drywall patch can fix that, but it has to go all the way to the nearest stud, so down comes more drywall.


And with it, nasty old insulation. Yes, I am aware that he needs gloves and goggles. At least he's wearing a hat.


As the insulation started to fall, I was very glad I called a timeout and put down a drop cloth.


So, after a quick shower and wardrobe change, the patch is in.


And now, instead of a shiny new light, we watch the drywall mud dry and get started on the actual project we had planned for the afternoon. Which -- thank goodness -- went easily and smoothly.

18 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh that stinks...i feel your pain :) Can't wait to see an update!

Unknown said...

Wow, that looks familiar. We discovered our ceiling was crumbling and old insulation was falling out when we took down our old flourescent light in our kitchen, too. Hm, we didn't even think about patching it. That seems like the obvious answer, now, haha! We just slapped a ceiling medallion over the large hole. Perhaps in the future we will repair the drywall so we don't have to have a medallion up there anymore... :)

Candace said...

I like the way Wes has a gradual wardrobe change as the process continues - adds some humor.

Good luck finishing!

By the way - I could've sworn you knew you shared a birthday with my mom! Ha! I hope you had a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

If you know me then you know I do love a wardrobe change at some point in the day, but in my defense this one was warranted due to the insulation and sheetrock dust that made its way down my shirt.

Also, I like to rock a popped collar during DIY work.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Wes' comment is funny!

That's how DIY projects work. I'm scared when I take down the fan/light in the nursery to hang the lantern- that I'm going to have to paint the whole ceiling. I dread it!

Jennifer said...

Yes it's true, the man produces twice the laundry that I do. At least he pitches in with it!

And I'm afraid we're going to have to paint the ceiling here, too ... ack!

La Maison Fou said...

Isn't that right? We too live in a 1950 ranch home that is slowly being changed room to room, today I took the rest of a couple of studs down to expose a new opening & found some gross wadded up tissues down inside the wall? From then to eternity I guess it was supposed to remain there forever?
You never know what you will find or what is lurking in the unknown.
Good luck and house blessings to you!
Leslie

Anonymous said...

At least monkeys didn't start falling out of the ceiling. LOL!

McGee said...

Been there, done that. Removing popcorn texture from the bathroom ceiling in our 1930 American Foursquare resulted in a complete gutting of the room.

Celeste said...

Darn it, DIY!!

LindsB said...

I have the same issue every time I go to do a home project too. I hope the patch holds and I cant wait to see what you have in store for there.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

this is the story of our lives. ;) Good luck with your new fixture.

Confessions said...

wow. y'all are awesome. i love a good DIY post!!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Better people that we are, that's for sure. Ah, you brave souls...

Catherine said...

Ah yes, you never do know what a project will entail. Have a great weekend! Trina

Eric said...

This is probably my favorite post ever. It's probably because it's a lot of Wes. I wouldn't have a clue what to do if that happened to me. At least, I know who to call to walk me through it .

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

THERE IS SO MUCH TRUTH TO THIS POST!

But it's not just DIY, it's any project, really!

Ahhh!

Kelly

Unknown said...

We found the same light fixture situation when we installed our new light in our dining room - it looked like the old homeowner punched a whole though the ceiling to install the light fixture - not cool