Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Could I Do This?


I've got curtains on my mind lately. Particularly the lack of them in our bedroom. I love these Greek key-trimmed beauties featured in Coastal Living and wonder, could I make these? I could save some cash by using a drop cloth or other inexpensive fabric, and I feel good about my box pleat-making skills after making the skirted desk. Wes could break out his carpentry skills to help me with the body of the valance, and surely my limited sewing skills could handle a trim. If not, a little hem tape would do the job.


Lewis & Sheron has a pretty and affordable Greek key trim ($12/yard).


This flat tape might be interesting ($8/yard).


But I am especially leaning toward this blue and blue geometric ($12/yard).

12 comments:

KatyO! said...

love that look in coastal living pictures!! Little Green Notebook did a post awhile back about making pelmet boxes

http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2009/09/easy-pelmet-boxes.html

maybe that'll help??

Catherine said...

They're very beautiful. I'm afraid I am unable to sew a thing - I've tried and I don't have what it takes. So making them sounds jaw dropping amazing to me. Your my hero!!
; ) Trina

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Yes, you could do it. Keep us posted!

A Dance With Grace said...

Definately keep us posted. Love them! I am so excited to break in my sewing machine...this is motivation to get moving! The woman that helps me with my kids is an amazing seamstress and surely could offer a tutorial, but sadly doesn't speak English. Maybe better to UTube:).

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

These are quite the hit lately in the blogosphere, aren't they? I like the trim with darker curtains like in your last post.

Kelly

Southern Lady said...

You can do it!!! Carla

melissa said...

Very easy to make!! You can do it! I have made numerous valances. Very inexpensive! For the wood...you need 1/4's and L brackets. Make sure to measure about an inch out on each side.

MB said...

I'm so impressed! I have no doubt you can do it, after seeing some of your other projects. My mom offered to give me sewing lessons when I was thirteen and I said, "no way, why would I need to know how to sew!" I've been eating those words ever since! If you've got the talent use it:)

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

You could totally do it! And that Greek Key ribbon is great.

Robin Johnson said...

You bet you could! And it would look fabulous too!

Rachel said...

I've been thinking about curtains like this - more specifically the valance - for our bedroom too! I've been thinking about trying to make them myself too. So if you do tackle this, be sure to share pics!

Louisa said...

I've used that L&S greek key trim on two sets of curtains now (very simple white & ivory panels from PB) and it looks great! Love your blog!