Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas at Our House


I kept Christmas pretty low-key at our house this year. For some reason, I was fixated on the trouble it is to unstring the lights from a real tree, and I just couldn't get excited about doing so just days from my due date. When I spotted three-foot-tall Frasier Firs at Whole Foods, I was sold.


I've admired tabletop trees for a couple of years (last year, and the year before) so this was a great chance to try it in our house. I think it was quite adorable! And it only required one string of lights and two small boxes of ornaments.


I intended to make my own wreaths and garland again (see it from last year here), but after three trips to Lowe's and Home Depot and only a handful of free tree scraps, I broke down and bought 30 feet of White Pine garland for just $10 (at Home Depot), and then another 20 feet for $6 (at Lowe's).


I kind of missed the big, fluffy fir garland over the door, but this was cute too with the big, old-fashioned lights.


My glitter trees (the only decorations I own that aren't lights or ornaments!) went in the dining room with some tree scraps and my pewter bowl full of pinecones.

Christmas over all was pretty low-key actually, but it was also the best one in recent memory. There is just so much to be thankful for and to look forward to that fussy decorations and spending a fortune on gifts seemed silly. Not to mention we actually had a white Christmas! In Alabama! Unbelievable!

And now, we wait ...

18 comments:

Amanda said...

Love your little tree! And that chest it is sitting on! Thinking of you these last few days. Praying for a smooth delivery and can't wait to see pics of baby Bonds!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Your home looks so pretty and festive!!! I love that you kept it simple; but everything still looked so perfect!

Julie said...

I'm 30 weeks and couldn't fathom putting up and tearing down a tree. No thanks. I should have done a tabletop tree!

Pink Wallpaper said...

so excited for y'all!!

Southern Lady said...

Your decorations are just perfect! Savor every moment while you wait! Carla

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Jennifer, I love your little tree & just might do that next year. I have a faux 4' tabletop prelit that I used this year & did not miss my big tree at all.Sure made it easier to clean up too. More & more as you mentioned in your comment,I want to do more natural greenery like they do in Mtn. Brook. I just love that look. Add a little bling & that's perfect for me.

rustic rooster interiors said...

Love your tree... It's just perfect! Congrats... This is a very exciting time! :)

xoxo,
Alexandra

My Notting Hill said...

Your table top tree looks so pretty. Love the plaid blanketed ottoman in front of it. I wish you happy waiting for the arrival of your bundle of joy. All the very, very best in 2011!! Michele

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I'm thinking I may do the tabletop tree next year when Collins is toddling around! You'll probably do the same. Hope you are feeling well!!!

Sarah said...

That's the cutest little tree. Yay! Can't believe your time is already here!! So excited, good luck:)

Amanda said...

LOVE the mini tree! Just found your blog by search newlywed blogs.
I'm a newlywed as well!
http://thelittleyellowhouseblog.blogspot.com/

Haven and Home said...

So excited for y'all! I am thinking about you!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

It's beautiful. Our first Christmas in the new house, Ryan brought me home a potted tree that was just so fun and adorable. We kept it for nearly a year before it bit the dust. We should do that again next year.

Ashley said...

Beautiful, beautiful photos. Wishing you good luck as you await the arrival of your little one! Happy 2011!

megan @ a life's design said...

I love your table top tree! So adorable! Thinking about you and praying for you and your little coming soon!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I think there's something to be said for a minimally decorated Christmas. The tabletop tree is adorable!

Philippine properties said...

The color and texture of the picture pleases me to no end. You have a very beautiful home.

Angelo H

pakistani matrimonial rishta said...

Thanks for sharing
pakistani Rishta
online Rishta
leaf guard canada