Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 893's holiday decorations


Christmas really brings out the traditionalist in me. All I can picture when I think of decorating is lots and lots of evergreen, so to Lowe's I went (twice) to collect the trimmings from their Christmas trees.

And, of course, we had to have a real Frasier Fir tree. There is always a moment during the process of getting it up (and straight) and of winding what seems like a thousand lights around it that I see the value of a pre-lit tree, but after it's up, it's totally worth it. The tree is decorated with all glass ornaments -- my small collection of Christopher Radko ornaments, and the random assortment that we've collected in the last few years. This year we added a blown-glass garland from Restoration Hardware (bought at 80 percent off at the outlet!). I love it and wish I had bought a couple more strands! I put the bells I bought after the holidays last year to use as the topper.

I have a weird obsession with hanging wreaths over mirrors, so I made a simple Fir wreath for the one in the dining room. I've got some paperwhites that I hope will bloom the week of Christmas, and I put greenery on nearly every other surface I could think of -- can't get enough!


I reused the moss wreath I made last year, and added some juniper and Magnolia leaves to the garland for more texture. Last year I used a red ribbon, but I swapped it for green since it faces the one in the dining room.


Outside, a lit garland of Fir and juniper hangs over the door and the big wreath. I originally wanted to put the bells on this wreath, but just couldn't get it to look quite right.


At Wes' suggestion, I used some of the leftover greenery to decorate the mailbox. It's kind of wild-looking (Wes calls it the Christmas peacock) but think it's festive! Are you all decorated yet? What's your philosophy?

I'm going to try something new and link to a few holiday decorating parties. If you are here for the first time, thank you so much for visiting, and I'd love to "meet" you in the comments. Check out these ladies for a ton more holiday inspiration: Southern Hospitality, Hooked on Houses, The Inspired Room, The Nesting Place.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen - it's all so pretty. The wreath over the mirror is the perfect touch. Good on Wes for thinking about the mailbox - it's totally fun! I guess I'm going to get serious about a tree this weekend!

paula said...

Jennifer it's beautiful! You must see the outside of our house. this year ellie and kj did the decor. It's gaudy as all get out, but they love it.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Jennifer- It looks so great. I love it all. Esp the peacock!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I also LOVE wreats!!
what a great mailbox! I would smile everytime I saw it!

Jen @ homeinthecountry said...

It's all beautiful! I love natural greenery at Christmas time - especially the scent of a real tree in the house! We just moved ours in last week, and I cut off a bunch of sprigs to make a wreath for the door. Love the mix of magnolia leaves in with the evergreen!

Jennifer said...

Thanks guys!

Too funny, Paula. I guess I'll do the time-consuming handmade garland and all-glass tree for as long as I can!

Abbie said...

I love that you decorated the mailbox... and that it's wild and unruly. It looks amazing.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I love the mailbox, and all the greenery.

My philosophy is "more is more" =). I just talked about my love for all things holiday on the blog today, actually.

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

Looks great! I love the mantle/hanging wreath.Merry Christmas!

Meredith said...

Your mailbox looks so cute, I would never have thought of that!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

What a great idea around the mailbox

katiedid said...

LOVE the tree! And I do wreaths over mirrors too. Doubles the beauty, right?

No.35style said...

love your moss wreath and that great green ribbon! i too (when i decorate..no time this year due to getting the nursery together) love to use fresh greenery...i love cedar, pine, magnolia..basically whatever i can go out in the yard and cut...i sometimes mix it in with fake garlands to add a full mix..and with it all tucked together like that, you can't tell the fake from the real and the fake gives a good base to hold the real stuff!

Elaine said...

This is great to hear that other people put greenery where ever they can! I have put it above the 5ft mirror that is in my living room and on tables and even in our hanging light fixtures and around our bed post. I love the smell of it. Everything looks great! Hope to see y'all at the Christmas party!

Hello Lover... said...

Love your wreaths and Christmas decor! How did you make the fir wreath? Where did you get the wide green ribbon - I'm looking for a wide ribbon in exactly that shade, I'm going to paper-source today to look but if you wouldn't mind sharing I'd really appreciate it- thanks!

Candace said...

I wish we could get a Frasier Fir, but I'm allergic! So pre-lit all the way at the Strickland's.

I could totally use a peacock decoration on my mailbox though....

megan @ a life's design said...

everything looks fabulous! we didn't get any garland this year and i miss it. we always get a real tree as well.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oo la la...I LOVE how you thought to decorate the mailbox! Perfection. :) Visiting from Rhoda's. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Jen, thanks for joining the party! It's going to take me days to visit everyone. I love all your natural greens, I love to add those too & I did a wild bunch on my mailbox too that I'll show later. Great job, it's all beautiful!

Rachel said...

Your decorations look so great!! So pretty!

I think I need to go and hang another wreath now...

Heather said...

Your home is beautiful, great job! Thanks for the tour! Merry Christmas!

LindsB said...

Jennifer, your house looks stunning!! I just LOVE your front door- and that wreath you made, LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! I have been meaning to do the same thing but obvi never got around to it, maybe for next year :)

Cara said...

The mailbox decorations are great. I like that it is a little wild looking! I like the idea of hanging wreaths over mirrors (or windows) too, but I've yet to try it at my house. Maybe next year. Merry Christmas!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Beautiful decorations! Thank you for the holiday tour.

Merry Christmas and many blessings in 2010.

Cristin

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

So Pretty! I love the mailbox and your tree. Merry Christmas.

Ashli said...

Please decorate my mailbox!

Unknown said...

Love the mailbox - all of your greenery is so pretty! Merry Christmas!

pakistani matrimonial rishta said...


Thanks for sharing
we are Roofing Repair company contact uss canada(604 655 8486)
leaf guard canada
pakistani Rishta
Rishta pakistan
photobooth rentals in australia