Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 535's alternative


Our Christmas tree is definitely not huge. When we were bringing it home, I had a pang of "oh, maybe we should have gotten a bigger one," but as soon as it came into the house, I knew we'd hit our max. Our little 1959 rooms just can't handle a big tree!


The more I see these gorgeous tabletop trees, the more I like them, and I can certainly see their value. After all, our's is bare on the bottom fourth to keep the ornaments out of Maddie's reach anyway (Wes was worried she'd confuse the round ornaments with her balls, but so far so good).


They'd be a great place to really showcase a collection of ornaments that might get lost in the shuffle of a big tree. We have a box of Wes's grandmother's ornaments, and I'd love to have a place to really show them off. Eddie Ross (the second tree) suggests trimming the weaker branches to make room for more ornaments, and it looks like Martha's team employs that strategy, too (the first and third trees).


Photo by Don Freeman for Country Living magazine

And it goes without saying that this is great for a small space. What about you? Do you have a humongous tree? Would you consider giving it up for one of these?

10 comments:

paula said...

we actually have two. we have the big one in the play/sunroom and a small table top trees with a bird theme in the front entry way table. i actually like the little one more.

Jennifer said...

oooh Paula, I want to see your bird tree!

Krisan said...

our tabletop tree is not nearly that pretty, but considering how tiny this apartment is, i am loving it!!

(thoroughly enjoy your blog!)

Anonymous said...

I have several trees, all fake. I wish I could have a real one, but my husband and son have allergies. Maybe we'll try a live table top one next year?

Anyway, we have one 6.5 foot slender tree, and three table tops of various sizes that are meant to be grouped on a table. The three small trees have ornaments we've received as gifts (I call it the Forest of Misfit Ornaments) that don't work with our glass ornament big(ish) tree.

laura @ so alaurable said...

I have a large artificial tree, but I am absolutely loving the idea now of a tabletop one!

Lauren said...

Oh they're so pretty!! We have a big tree but if space didn't allow it, I'd definitely do one of these beauties!

megan @ a life's design said...

I love table top trees! If we didn't have room for a big one, we would have definitely got a small one (we almost did, but didn't know where to put it). great post!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I've been reading every post...starting with the very first one! I love what you do! I will certainly be back!

Amy

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your sweet post about my tree! Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Eddie

Anonymous said...

Well WE had a lovely tabletop Enchanted Forest display! :)