Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 361's love


I really, really love the Idea House that Steven Gambrel did for Cottage Living a couple of years ago. It's just the epitome of what a summer-y house should be.


Whoops, another blue bedroom. I'm sure you're getting tired of them, but I am apparently not!


This is a totally fabulous desk that I feel like I could make (er, at least maybe Wes could). Sister, if you're reading, this is for you. It looks like a standard saw horse has been decoupaged with maps. I did some serious decoupaging in high school (and yet I still cannot spell it?!) and this makes me want to revisit my old friend Mod Podge.

And the dark window are so cool. We're thinking of painting the ones in our living room.


It's a bit difficult to see exactly what's happening in this picture, but it looks like a desk is in front of a fireplace -- what a spot to check your e-mail! I really dig the ball of twine on the mantle, too.


The combination of pale blue and red has really got me going lately, and this dining space is no exception.


Here, Gambrel proves that even everyday accessories (appliances, cookbooks, what look like gardening tools ... )can be used as display. It's also nice to see a "show house" styled with items that might actually be found in a real house. The trick, of course, is to keep it neat.

Photos by Tria Giovan for Cottage Living magazine

8 comments:

The Gentrys said...

Jennifer,
Where are ya'll living now? McCoy's Upholstery is in Dadeville, but they pick up and deliver from Auburn and surrounding areas - they said they were doing a big job in Birmingham last week so I guess they pick up and deliver there too. They charge $35 per yard for the reupholstering (you buy your fabric separately), but from what I've heard others charge, that seems like a good price and they do an excellent job!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Ooh, nice pics! I love the bright summery feel.

I've thought about painting my window trims black too! It looks great especially against white walls. Haven't been brave enough to actually try it thought.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the info, Ashley!

Let me know if you try it, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

erika said...

Okay your mention of the old "Mod Podge" made me laugh outloud. I love Mod Podge, what is it about that name that makes me giggle!?

megan @ a life's design said...

just divine!
i love this house!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I are buying our first home and I've been looking all over for inspiration since the place will basically be a blank slate to do with as we choose.

I'm LOVING the blue/red combos too. I think we're settling on doing a red kitchen with blue accents and a blue (maybe blue/grey?) living/dining room with red accents. The two rooms flow together through a big archway, and with lots of big white trim will hopefully look amazing.

Thanks for the pics! Would love more if you find them. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm crazy about the bright red in the pale blue room. Very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I have LOVED this house/design since day 1 of reading this article~it has proudly sat on my bookshelf for the last couple of years with my other prized design magazines (my husband thinks I'm nuts to save them all~little does he know...!). Now I am finally getting ready to "do" our master bedroom and am using some elements of this master room here as inspiration-I guess when you see a room that inspires, you don't ever forget it! Thank you for the wonderful daily posts!