Monday, October 6, 2008

Day 464's clumsiness

Just in time for the holiday entertaining season, I have sabotaged my serve ware stash. In the last month, I have broken three of my favorite pieces! What is wrong with me??


I had one asparagus plate from Pottery Barn, and have been meaning to grab one or two more to have for serving small things at tailgate parties and showers and such. I used it at an out-of-town shower last month, and carelessly left it in my car for a couple of days. Something fell on it from the back seat and broke it, which didn't seem like such a tragedy until last night ...


... when I broke two more of my favorite pieces! We have a massive antique wardrobe in our breakfast room that is great for storing our stemware and big, bulky serving items. There are two closed cabinets on either side and one with a glass door in the middle. When we got it, there were only two shelves for the outside cabinets and only enough brackets to hold one of them.

Several trial-and-error trips to the hardware section at Lowe's revealed that we probably weren't going to find brackets that would fit, so we bought the closest size we could, and added some electrical tape to help them fit the holes. In hindsight, perhaps not the best idea? Then Wes took an old bookcase of his apart to use the shelves in the wardrobe, though they were a couple of inches too shallow. It seemed to be working just fine, and I was happy as clam organizing all of my goodies last night, when one of the top shelves fell and my favorite cake stand and dome was completely shattered!

It was a wedding gift from the staff at Southern Accents, so I really hate to see it go (even more so now that I see the dome is no longer available!).


My wonderful and incredibly useful drink dispenser was on the shelf with the cake stand, and though it was made of heavy-duty plastic, the spigot must've hit the ground first, as it came off and left a nice, big hole in its place.

Luckily, I was standing there (in my bare feet, of course) when the shelf began to give way and I was able to stop it from falling onto the one below, which was also full of glass pieces. And I've got a cut on the bottom of my foot to prove it!

What serving pieces would you hate to do without?

6 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Oh, I can totally relate. I have broken one of our toasting flutes (more sentimental than useful), my favorite C&B wine glass and two of our Fiestaware bowls... in less than 6 mos. of marriage. I can't imagine what would happen if I had the open upper shelves in kitchen that are all the rage right now. =)

As for serving pieces, I would be so sad if I broke our glass pitcher. It's so useful and I've never found another one that I like as much as mine. =)

megan @ a life's design said...

Hope you foot is ok, and sorry to hear about the event.
My most important piece isn't really a serving piece. It is a green glass decanter that my grandmother gave me on my wedding day. My grandfather (her husband) was in the air force and stationed in Germany. He watched the man make it and bought it. It sat in her bathroom my whole life, and I always told her I calmed it! :) On my wedding day when she came over to do my hair she brought it as my wedding gift. When I opened it I began to bawl my eyes out. She said she wanted to be the one to give it to me.

Jennifer said...

glad I'm not the only one :)

and Megan, thanks for giving me some perspective! and thank you Pottery Barn for being replaceable!

Katie said...

Oh this is so sad! I hate to lose pieces like those- especially the cake stand! I'm not going to jinx myself by saying what I'd hate to lose, but I am going to re-examine the sturdiness of my antique-dresser-found-in-attic-now-sideboard as soon as I get home!

Cowesett Construction Company said...

That is so sad!! I would absolutely hate to lose all of the pieces my mother handed down to me from my deceased grandmother. She was so special to me.

Anonymous said...

The night of my bachelorette party(we were having dessert at my house) my cake stand which was my Dh's grandmother's broke! I was so upset being it had been passed down and I so love heir-looms. But the part that hurt more was that not one of my friends or bridesmaid's helped me to pick up all of the broken and shattered glass and I cut my hand!