Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 488's budget compromise


I realize I risk sounding like a total snob, but I like nice candles. I like that they come in pretty, simple glass jars that don't have pictures of clothes drying in the sunshine or a barrel of apples. I like that they smell fresh, but not too flower-y, herb-y but not too kitchen-y (did you get that?). And, of course, it's a major bonus that they (usually) burn uniformly and I don't have to resort to burning a votive in the middle of a wax column to get my "money's worth."


Oh the times, they are a'changing! I burned the last of my "good" candles a couple of weeks ago, and finally got desperate enough one night at Wal-Mart to give the MainStays Mulled Cider a try (for a mere$3.48). It smelled delightful enough, but I was still skeptical. I am happy to report that I have been totally delighted with my cheap new find! You can see that I've burned at least two thirds of it, and look how nice and even it is! And it smells just like fall.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We are OBESSESSED with this candle at our house, we have them in several rooms!

A Baby Peach said...

I am totally like this too - I hate cheap/funky smelling candles and love the elegant, pretty ones. I'll have to check those out!

megan @ a life's design said...

we don't have a wal-mart close to us, but this is still good to know. i like Pier 1 candles. they burn nicely and last a long time.

Unknown said...

Check out Votivo candles. Also, the winter line from Voluspa is amazing! I got some this weekend from this store: www.heliotropehome.com

:)

Taz + Belly said...

I'm a lurker, coming out of hiding :). At your behest, I ran out and bought two of them. They've been burning since that day and still look beautiful. Not to mention that is a great smell for such a steal!

Teena Marie said...

AB candles are the best hands down!