Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 402's palette


I have always loved the combination of black and white. It's graphic without being scary, and interesting enough to use with just hints of other colors. When applied in different textures and with a bit of gray, it is totally dreamy.


A quick look at his portfolio reveals that Ron Marvin loves black and white as much as I do! He fearlessly accents with bold colors, such as yellow and red.


This 1834 house is home to the owner of Tine K Home, a European furnishing company. I love the painted brick with the black windows and doors. When paired with the classical architecture, it is sure to look chic forever.


Inside, ebonized floors and white walls set the tone for a simple palette that is more about texture and shape than color.


I've posted this image before, and I still love the black mini-hexagon tiles with the white porcelain sink. Graphic towels and a rug complete the look, even though the walls are taupe.


This dining room, which is (was?) in the Hamptons home of Sarah Jessica Parker, was one of the very first images that I tore from the pages of Elle Decor and saved (I still have it!). Black matte paint unifies an unmatched set of chairs and doesn't distract from the dramatic chandelier. This unfussy, unpretentious look is perfect for a beach house!

Photo by Paul Costello for Domino

Punches of black give this all-white bedroom just enough graphic interest.

4 comments:

Confessions said...

These people talk about licking their screens when they see something totally fabulous. I just didn't get it...until today. I'm loving the image from Ron Marvin. yum!

megan @ a life's design said...

I love the blend of all the different chair styles in the 'Elle Decor' image. Great post!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

I'm loving black and white these days. Maybe its the abundance of white rooms I'm seeing on blogs and in the decor magazines. Its so fresh.

No.35style said...

Love the Ron Marvin photo.