Monday, August 11, 2008

Day 408


I mentioned last week that my mom brought us a dining room table as a housewarming. Well, here it is! She bought the table at auction a few weeks ago, but doesn't have a place for it in her house. What can I say, I get it honestly!

I'm a little perplexed about what kind of chairs I should be looking for. My first instinct would be something upholstered, but do I want all six to be upholstered? And there is the matter of the two chairs that flank the window. Should I just look for four dining chairs and pull those two up as host and hostess chairs when I need more seating? We've tried, and they are a bit short, but not unbearably so.

You might also notice that the desk-turned-dressing-table-turned-bar is gone. I sent it back to school with my sister (so now it's a desk again!), so I suppose we're on a casual hunt for something to replace it with.

Wes would like a surface to use as a bar, and I, well, I am undecided. A little chest would be nice, as Style Court mentioned. And then there is the matter of that green sideboard.


On the other hand, I think it would great to have something a little larger (but not quite as big as this) and paint the inside. I've got a little collection of white pitchers and cake stands that need some love, and I really, really like this image. I've seen several cheap-ish chippendale secretaries and such around town that I wouldn't mind taking a paintbrush to. Oh decisions, decisions ...

6 comments:

MaryBeth said...

I love that table, you are very lucky. I bought a side table years ago from Domain with the same legs, I think they are called barley twist. I tried to get the spindles for my stairs made in the same fashion but my stair maker told me they would be unbelievable expensive.
I also love the painted sideboard.
MB

Makenzi said...

Love your new barley twist table! Its so French Country! I like the idea of mixing upholstered & wooden dining chairs. I think any of these would look great: The Nancy Chair (in a different fabric:) at http://www.athome-furnishings.com/dining.htm or The Provincial Side Chair at www.ballarddesigns.com. Good luck with your chair search!

m. said...

love, love your blog :) a friend found it for me, as it is eerily similar to my own. I am also living in b-ham, engaged and renovating our house. what are the odds? :) keep up the fantastic work!

katiedid said...

Great table! I think you are right....something upholstered, but the scale should not be too big. Make sure to look at size before ordering! You have some really retty ideas flowing.:)

Brooke said...

I am a big fan of your blog, and I know you were simply using this image as inspiration - but do you recall where it was from? I am looking for that EXACT piece!!!!! Would love the help!

Jennifer said...

Hey Brooke -- this photo is a promotional shot for Martha Stewart's line of dishes at Macy's and I'm not sure if it's something that she sells or not. Hope that helps!