Thursday, June 18, 2009

Day 719: new decorating rules


Oakland, California designer Sheri Sheridan offers her new rules for decorating in a recent issue of Sunset magazine. Some wise words, I think.

Celebrate tchotchkes: Make what you already have display-worthy.


Indulge in art: "Never be afraid to buy original art if you love it," Sheri says. "Art is always a smart investment."


Salvage something: This bench came from the side of the road, and was updated with paint and a fabric remnant.


Shun labels: "I love mixing time periods and styles so they work together," says Sheri. The combination makes the vintage seem current and the contemporary pieces less stark.


Mix the old with the new: I whole-heartedly subscribe to this one, which I'm sure is no surprise to most of you. To me, there is nothing more boring in the world than a room chock-full of brand-new furniture. Old things give a room a personality and a history that simple cannot be found on a showroom floor. Do you have any decorating rules of your own?

8 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the bench. Wish I could find on on the side of the road too!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Great tips.

Although I would be happy to have a room full of brand new furniture. I'm just too cheap to spring for it :)

Ashley said...

Love the phone off the hook!! Cool idea but I don't know how useful it would be.. :)

Under a Green Roof said...

In my opinion, just picking items you love and items that make you happy is the best decorating rule of all!

megan @ a life's design said...

i can work with those. :)

Haven and Home said...

Love the silver pig in the second picture. I couldn't agree more with these rules!

bluehydrangea said...

I agree and I love the pictures too! I need to go back and look for that pig.

Matters of Style said...

LOVE the bench! Can't believe it was a freebie!