Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 737's hometown tour


We spent the long holiday weekend at my dad's river house near my hometown (or what I consider my hometown, at least): Fayetteville, Tennessee. In high school, I thought I was a displaced city girl. And now that I live in "the city" I really enjoy time spent in the country and have all sorts of romantic fantasies about what our life would be like if we moved out of town. Maybe we would live downtown and have a little bed and breakfast in a big Victorian house. Or I could have my little store and Maddie could come to work with me every day. Or we could have a little farmhouse with a big garden and a couple of miniature ponies (because they are so dang cute!). Isn't the grass always so much greener on the other side?!


But I digress. We started the weekend with dinner at The Restaurant, which is kind of in the middle of no where, but has great food. Dad and his wife Ellen know the owners by name, and that a reservation is a must if you want to dine on Friday or Saturday nights.


I headed into town on Friday morning to hit up my favorite spots before meeting everyone for lunch. Sir's Fabric is always a must-stop. There is room after room of remnants, and you'll be hard pressed to find anything over $5 a yard.


On the West side of the square, Magnolia Mall is sure to delight.


I can always find something I need to bring home in a place like this.


In the front windows are buckets and barrels full of marbles. Mom used to bribe us with a bag of marbles each if we behaved while she shopped.


Next door is Dragonfly Gallery, which is full of local art.


Lunch at O'Houlihan's is a requirement for any time spent in Fayetteville. It's a charming little sandwich shop with a beaded board ceiling and schoolhouse-style pendants. It's also where I bought the blueberry tea I served at my sister's shower last weekend.


They have the most delicious German Chocolate Upside-Down cake in the world -- they use pecans instead of coconut, and top it with a raspberry sauce. Delightful! Unfortunately, they were so busy on Friday that they sold out of cake before I could reserve my piece. Tragic!

The rest of the weekend was spent lazing around on the river, but I let my camera battery die and couldn't document any of that. I guess we'll just have to go back for cake and pictures another time.

6 comments:

Kelli said...

OMG, I've been reading your blog for 2 years or more, and Fayetteville is my hometown, too! How did I not know this? Like you, I couldn't wait to move away, but now I entertain fantasies of owning an exposed brick stationery store on the square...living in a bungalow nearby so that I could ride a bike to work...that kind of thing. How cool! Now I'm wondering if I should know you.

Candace said...

I won't tell you how proud I am of this particular post. To only think - I was a mere 10 minutes from you once again.

megan @ a life's design said...

What an adorable little hometown!

Haven and Home said...

This is such a great post. I love the city guide. I will have to stop by sometime. I always see signs for Sirs but I have not been!

bluehydrangea said...

Love the hometown tour!! You make it look so charming. Love the barrel of marbles.I ended up coming back to my hometown after 20 years away and I must say it is the best!!

kimberly t. bowling said...

My husband is from TN...

I've only been to the Square in Fayetteville a few times, but adored it and loved eating in O'Houlihans. Bought a few things in the Magnolia Mall, and my MIL is always finding some great fabric at Sirs.

Enjoyed your post about your hometown. I love all small towns with an old square...so neat!