Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 761: questions about seagrass


Every time I post images of our living room my inbox is flooded with questions about our seagrass rug, so I suppose it's time to formally address them for all to hear. First I will say that I love our rug and would buy it again in a heartbeat (we found it at HomeGoods). Also that caring for it has really been quite easy, now that we've found the right product to use.

Soon after we bought the rug, we adopted a puppy, and soon after that, she started having some, ahem, gastrointestinal problems. I'm sure you don't want to hear the details, but let's just say that I cannot imagine anything more gross happening on my beloved new rug! It was a little stressful (and did I mention gross?).

We tried all of the home remedies we could find online, but nothing worked and I was hesitant to try regular carpet cleaner because I'd heard horror stories about bleaching on natural fiber rugs. Turns out, those were all about sisal, but that's a different story. Next, I opened the phone book and started calling down the rows looking for someone who would take on a "natural fiber rug with pet stains," and even once or twice wrote down the numbers spotted on sides of vans driving down the road. I was desperate, and no one could help.

One day I was flipping through my latest issue of Martha Stewart Living, and I stopped to read the questions from readers -- I never miss the questions from readers! One lady was asking about caring for natural fiber rugs, and Martha suggested the product she uses at home, Host Dry Carpet Cleaner. I figured it couldn't hurt, so we tracked some down and have not looked back. This stuff is amazing! I really, truly saved our rug, and I'm sure it will save many more rugs down the road.

If you want more info about seagrass, check out Joni's post on Cote de Texas.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks so much for the info! I have had the same problem with our dog and I love natural fiber rugs but lately I think they are harder to clean. Which product did you buy exactly?

Jennifer said...

We have the 2.5 lb. HOST Dry Carpet Cleaner Shaker Pack™. I can really only speak about sea grass, and this stuff worked miracles for us!

elizabeth said...

Thanks for the tip about the HOST...I've used it in the past on regular carpeting, but never on natural fiber rugs. We want some rugs for our house to layer under our cowhides, and I was leaning towards mountaingrass (fancy hemp) b/c I was worried the seagrass would be harder to clean (we have 4 dogs). Now I may be brave enough to try it.

p.s. - My personal favorite enzyme cleaners for pet stains (to get the odor out not the stains) are
Davis Odor Destroyer (water soluble concentrate) and the Equalizer (an alcohol based aerosol, great for upholstery and carpeting)

LindsB said...

How have I never really seen entire pictures of your family room?!? I am in L.O.V.E. What a beautiful job you have done, everything looks amazing- and I love the rug too, I'm going to keep my eyes out at Homegoods from now on.

Tricia - Avolli said...

Thanks for the info on cleaning natural fiber rugs...I've had personal experience with sisal and it didn't work out very well so this is good to hear.

Tricia - Avolli

paula said...

perfect... I was to email you and ask what the name was again. Should have wrote it down. have a great weekend jennifer.

Anonymous said...

I live in a tiny city apartment and have several seagrass rugs...they have been terrific! With a dog and small children, there have been potty accidents (by both kids and dog), food rubbed in, crayons, you name it! My Pottery Barn rugs don't look worn or stained at all. I first try to soak up any liquids and then will use a Clorox wipe to disinfect. It does take a little while for the spot to dry but no stains!

Amy said...

i don't have a comment about the rug, but your living and dining rooms are looking fantastic!

tara said...

Hello, I came across your blog as I was researching HOST carpet cleaner, I am in the same situation you were only with my cat who likes to vomit on my seagrass, can I ask if it worked on dried stains? I want to try this but am afraid the seagrass is ruined, and it kills me!! thanks for your time, Tara

Jennifer said...

Hey Tara -- I would definitely try it on dried stains. The directions say to moisten the stain before applying the cleaner to loosen them up. I use water in a spray bottle. Good luck!

tara said...

Thank you so much! I will give it a try, fingers crossed! your blog is darling by the way!! have a great day! :)

Unknown said...

We experienced the same thing in Winston-Salem. Carpet cleaners successfully cleaned our natural-fiber rugs without even damaging it. I also learned the basic ways of doing it. Nice story to share, dear blogger!

Unknown said...

It's true that seagrasss rug are awesome; I had walked around them when I was shopping for rugs for my home, and my friend has one of them in his home. But then, I bought a different kind of carpet that is comfortable to lie on whenever I feel like it.

Another reason for buying a new one is for my room, and I needed one that is easy to clean for me and for the carpet cleaners in Tampa.

I had seen a huge problem on a rug when I once visited my friend's house only to smell the stench of cat poop, after which I hurriedly recommended guys from the carpet cleaning in Tampa, Florida who fixed my rug. Few hours later, the rug was good as new.