Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day 228's wish


Friends, I have a secret to share. It may surprise you -- it surprised me. The truth is, I kind of like Valentines' Day. I don't look forward to it with the same anticipation as say, Christmas, of course, but I do enjoy it. In fact, if it were the type of holiday that came with a day off work, I might even love it.

Maybe it's because it is pretty much the only day of the year I can wear pink without feeling completely foolish. Maybe I like chocolate just a little more than I'm willing to admit and will use any excuse to buy it, I don't know.

It's not even that I've always had really spectacular Valentines' Days, or that I've ever even had a great one at all. Until Wes came along, I'm pretty sure my dad was the only man who'd ever given me flowers on the "big day." Last year on February 14, I was on the way to Texarkana, Arkansas in the freezing cold to attend my great-grandmother's funeral. The year before that was pretty good. Wes and I hosted a mildly successful cocktail party. It was fun, but nothing mind-blowing. I can't even remember anything about the years before that, so they obviously weren't anything to write home (or blog) about.

This is our first supposedly-romantic post-honeymoon evening, and I don't really care what we do as long as we're together and maybe we can eat a little chocolate. Of course, having a pretty bloom or two to view from the couch can't hurt either.

So whomever you're spending Valentines' Day with, be it your husband, boyfriend, kid, best friend, sister, cat, dog or remote control, I hope you have a good one.

Image: Real Simple

1 comment:

Star said...

I feel the exact same way. Hope you had a good day!