Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 529's project


I have been feeling super-crafty this holiday season. It's probably because I want the house to be all festive and decked out, but we really don't need to spend a ton (or any, really) on decorations (and I don't really do knick-knacks, anyway). Our moms took care of the ornaments for us, but just a pretty tree isn't quite enough, you know? Enter, my formerly-suppressed crafty side.

See that wreath and garland up there? I totally made those! The first time I saw this, I thought "I could so make that," so I did.


I bought an 18-inch straw wreath form and two packages of preserved sheet moss at Michael's. Martha says to use floral pins, but I already had some 20-gauge floral wire and some wire cutters, so I saved my pennies. I just started with the big pieces, and worked my way around. It was kind of no-brainer. Then I used my last hot glue stick to reinforce some place that seemed loose.

Two yards of wide double-faced satin ribbon and tack nail later and we have Christmas above the television cabinet (you may know it as my "mantle").

Stay tuned to hear about the garland!

6 comments:

No.35style said...

I am going to have to really try to make one of those moss wreaths next year. So not in the Christmas mood this year. I want to do a square one. Thanks for the instructions. Love that you hung yours with that really wide ribbon!

Laura said...

So pretty! I've been wanting to make a moss wreath for awhile and keep putting it off. Love your blog-have been enjoying it for awhile. Can't wait to see more on your garland. Happy Holidays and War Eagle!
Laura

Mary Beth said...

That is such a perfect bow you tied! Great job on your decorations!!

Lauren said...

You did it & it looks beautiful!!! (I LOVE moss- For my wedding, I had moss balls everywhere!) So pretty & can't wait to see more pics of your house!!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic wreath! You did an excelent job. By the way, my name is Beth and I've really enjoyed reading your blog.

And P.S., as a New Orleans girl, I commend you for using moss. It can be a finicky decorating item. Again, beautiful wreath.

megan @ a life's design said...

fabulous! fabulous! fabulous!