Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Day 550: holiday transition


This morning I reluctantly took (most of) our Christmas decorations down. Our neighbors were out early on 26th untangling garland from their porch banister, but us? No sir. I feel like I just finished putting everything up! I did finally decide to put all of the ornaments away, and now we're left with what would make lovely decor for a New Year's Eve celebration (though it's looking like our celebration is going to consist of eating a pot of soup on the sofa).


I always love how the tree looks with just the lights. Or maybe I'm just saving the hardest part -- wrestling the lights off and getting it out the door -- for tomorrow when Wes is at home, who knows?


I patiently waited until the after-Christmas sales before picking up these antique church bells (half off! sweet!) in a favorite store, and I'm just not ready to pack them up just yet. Paired with my mercury glass votive holders, they look quite festive.


On the table, I tucked a few mercury glass ornaments in a footed bowl, along with a card leftover from wrapping Christmas gifts. And you'd better believe I'm turning on our lighted garland one last time tonight!

Happy New Year!

7 comments:

paula said...

i am love with that mirror and that blue dresser it sits a top of. i do believe those amazing bells could sit out all year. happy new year!

Amanda said...

Love the church bells. Maybe you can keep them out during the year. I don't think they scream c'mas :)

###### said...

The decorations reminded me of my trip to Target. I had a cart full of stuff. Then I decided to leave the basket and walk out of the store. I just couldnt take it anymore.

Katie said...

I vote that mercury glass is year-round too...love the bells.

Happy New Year!

paula said...

i just saw you two in the birmingham magazine. very exciting! i was bummed that i missed out with my email mix up, but was very excited for my shout out! thanks!

No.35style said...

I saw your great article in the birmingham magazine, too! I think the bells could sit out all year. I

megan @ a life's design said...

I think those church bells are divine and should be displayed all year long! Love the mirror! And our decor was up till New Years.