Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 534's last-minute project


Ten days until Christmas, and we don't have any stockings. Last year Wes' stocking was a paper gift bag. Neither of us can remember if he did one for me. This probably shouldn't be as big a deal as I'm making it, but I can't seem to help myself.


My mom used to make a big deal about stockings by insisting that we open them first on Christmas morning and always filling them with tiny goodies and surprises. I think that filling our stockings was her favorite part of playing Santa, and it showed.


I have been looking all over town for stockings and Wes has been scouring the Internet. Everything is either too glittered, too sparkled, too tacky, too cheesy or -- if it's just right -- too expensive. $45 for one stocking? Sorry, not this year (and probably not next, either).


All I want is a simple pair made of a pretty fabric. Linen, wool, or even an old handkerchief would be lovely. And I love, love the red ones Martha (er, someone over there) made from a vintage damask tablecloth. TJ Maxx has about one million damask tablecloths ... all with glittery gold stitches running through them.


Then, last week, I acquired five yards of Ralph Lauren's Wittenhurst Plaid, a pretty wool fabric in our favorite colors. I intended to save it until we can cover the big blue chair in Wes' office, but, silly me, I still probably need five more yards.

It looks so great in our bedroom that I'm tempted to take if all off the bolt and fold it at the end of our bed as a makeshift blanket. Then, hello!, it occurs to me that this will make a fabulous stocking! (Martha says it's easy) Now if only I knew how to sew ...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

We found ourselves in a similar situation this year with the arrival our newest little one. The economy is not kind and everything affordable that was lovely was snatched up before we knew it.

My mother taught me how to sew, so it's been a saving grace. Your third picture-the one from Martha Stewart with the fringed linen stockings? Complete inspiration. I'm thrilled to see them on here! They're almost finished now, sans fringe, and I'm happy to say they look great.

I found my solution and I know you'll find yours.

P.S.-Hobby Lobby sells double-sided fabric tape that you iron to create a seal (which is very strong). You could always cut out a template on a farbic you love and do that since sewing isn't an option!

Good luck to you-I can't wait to see what you come up with. As always, I've enjoyed reading.

Lindsay said...

Jen, I know you like most everything brown, but you CAN'T have brown stockings. Some things just have to be said. Make a blanket, make a dog bed, make curtains, but I am BEGGING you please do not make your stockings with that fabric.

Lindsay said...

I love you both :)

LindsB said...

That fabric would make great stockings, but I have to agree with the other Lindsay (I'm Lindsay too) I say make something she suggested with the fabric. Get some plain fabric at the store and make stockings from that. Hey, if you dont like them next year it will only have cost you a yard of fabric or so.

paula said...

i love the fabric and idea. it is true you may not love them forever, but they sure would be nice right now!

Laura said...

You can sew them! It wouldn't be too hard! I think you should give it a try!

Confessions said...

if I can sew...you can totally do it! and if it makes you feel any better, we have a mantle and no stockings. poor lonely mantle, laden with greenery, green apples, and my collection of silver candlesticks. it's begging for some stockings!! i can't wait to see what you come up with.

Lauren said...

I love the linen ones! ours are the really cheesy ones we've had since we were kids, - mine is a snowman & my husband's is falling apart. I sitll get excited when I pull the snowman stocking out of the Christmas box though! :)

Jennifer said...

so no go on the brown and blue stockings, eh? hmmmm that kind of makes me want them more ...

My Notting Hill said...

Love that wool - very pretty in a masculine way!

Filia Artis said...

New to your blog and starting to read through stuff.

Noticed mention of something Martha Stewart said would be easy...from experience, I've learned that nothing Martha does is easy - unless, like her, you have a full staff of helper elves at your disposal!

I love the iron-on fabric tape stuff for making such crafts - it always seems to come with IKEA curtains for hemming the bottoms and there is almost always leftovers that I love to use!

You could also just glue-gun the stockings together along the seams seeing as they're not really meant to be worn anyway?

As you can probably tell, I'm a pretty lousy seamstress...