Monday, March 15, 2010

flowering branches


One of my favorite things about spring are the flowering trees and bushes. Here, the forsythia is out in full force, and the redbud trees are putting on a lovely show. The buds on the Bradford pears are looking heavy and swollen, and they will be followed by the magnificent cherries and then the dogwoods and azaleas. I am smiling just thinking about it!


As lovely as they are outside, these flowering branches are just wonderful when brought indoors. We have a few forsythia in the 'woods' behind our fenceline, so I bring some branches in each year. Mine were looking a little frost-bitten, but they perked up and bloomed almost immediately after I brought them indoors (and if the sun ever comes back out I will take a photo).




Flowering quince is blooming now too. I don't have access to any free branches, but Whole Foods often has them for sale this time of year. You've probably seen this arrangement by Katie Denham before, but it is just too pretty not to include.


Dogwood blossoms might be my favorite. This hanging arrangement by Martha (who else?) has a tree-like quality.


Cherry blossoms are the fullest and are real show-stoppers. I might just have to do some side-of-the-road gathering for these this year.


All striking on their own, they are also lovely in a mixed arrangement. Wouldn't this be just wonderful for Easter?

Photos: via Habitually Chic, Housemartin, Sisters Choice, Katie D-i-d, Martha, Country Home, and Martha.

15 comments:

Catherine said...

They're all so beautiful. I don't seek them out for the house enough. I don't have a source other than the florist or Whole Foods. They are such a beautiful glimpse into spring. Trina

Red Door Home said...

Flowering branches are so pretty. They seem to welcome spring into your house.

MB said...

The branches are beautiful and so cheerful, in an elegant sort of way. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, we were thinking alike today! Love the images you found!Stop by my post when you get a moment...
Flowering Branch Love

Karla
Kerrisdale Design

paula said...

I am not sure why I haven't done this yet. This will be the year.

Sarah said...

Ahhhhhh! SPRING!
I am OBSESSED with flowering branches- ESPECIALLY cherry blossoms!
My husband and moved into our first home this Winter and I am PRAYING that we may have a flowering tree in our yard!

Just picked up some pussy willow branches at the farmer's market this weekend, and although they aren't busting with color, they make me so happy!

Danielle and Clint said...

Trader Joes had some beautiful pink blooms on branches the other day that I couldn't stop staring at! They just make such beautiful arrangements!

LindsB said...

I need to get up to my parents house asap and cut some forsythia branches asap! thank you for the reminder, I always remember once its too late. This year I will go early :)

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I loved this post. I need to go cut some of my forsythia right now. And I can't wait for my dogwoods to bloom!

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

I agree - love flowering branches. I have some forsythia blooming in a vase right now - they are just short though as the bush is small.

Vanessa Greenway said...

So beautiful!!

Marija said...

Couldn't resist popping over when I saw the blooming branches in someone's blogroll. LOVE them. Great post. I'll be back! Marija

Punctuation Mark said...

i was hoping to see the cherries blossom on this trip to DC but they are far from it... ;(

megan @ a life's design said...

LOVE this post! Hoping Spring comes more quickly!

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

GORGEOUS and inspiring!

Kelly