Monday, March 22, 2010

Day 996: two kitchen faucets


We're planning to renovate our 50-year-old kitchen (hopefully sooner than later) and Wes -- ever the diligent project manager -- has been drilling me about my wants and needs and trying to come up with a firm budget. Last week he asked about the faucet. Like many of you, I have a dream faucet: a beautiful two-handle bridge faucet in shiny chrome or polished nickel.


But my love -- Kohler's HiRise polished stainless deck-mount bridge faucet -- will set you back more than a grand, which frankly, isn't in the cards for this kitchen AND that doesn't include the side-sprayer, AKA, my best friend. So off I went to Overstock where the knock-offs weren't really doing it for me (though I do sort of like this one).


Then a few commercial-style faucets caught my eye, particularly this one from Vigo. I would have never thought I would like this look but there is something appealing about it. And since my tendency is to be pretty traditional, this might by just the industrial kick our future suburban-farmhouse kitchen needs. Then I remembered one of my all-time favorite kitchens and the crazy-tall commercial faucet Lindsay used there.


While it's true, most of the kitchens I save for inspiration feature a bridge faucet of some sort, I was pleasantly surprised to see this Margot Austin designed-kitchen has a fixture similar to this model. Since this room is a major inspiration for our kitchen, I think I'm on the right track.

Top photo is by Stephen Karlisch for Southern Accents, bottom photo is by Donna Griffith.

14 comments:

Arlynn said...

I have to admit - although I think the two-handled bridge faucets are quite lovely, they're not as functional {at least not in our household} as the Vigo design you selected (excellent pick by the way!). On our current sink, which I adore, we have one handle that helps to perfect selecting, changing and maintaining the perfect water temperature - a must when you only have one hand free to fill a pasta pot :-) I also love our big sprayer, attached to the faucet. It's so useful!

Whichever route you decide, I'm sure it will be fantastic - you certainly can pick 'em, ha!

paula said...

I can't tell you how much I love this! the kitchen and faucet are swoon worthy.

Elizabeth said...

try efaucets.com or faucetdirect.com. That is where I got my bridge faucet. It's the hi-rise. It was around $800, which is still pricey, but I had my heart set on it. Another alternative is the Kohler Parq. It's a smaller version on the Hi-Rise and it comes with a side sprayer. Good Luck!

~Grace Happens~ said...

I can't wait to see your reno come to life! You have such a wonderful eye for design. Kitchen renos are so much fun, but definitely hard work according to my hubby. haha. I love the faucets you are looking to buy. We went with a polished nickel bridge faucet, but it was a nightmare to find the exact one we wanted since they had discontinued it. luckily we found the very last one on ebay. good luck with everything! i'll be following you along the way:)

Celeste said...

And here all this time I thought I was the only one drooling over faucets. :o)

RLG said...

Every single time we do something to upgrade this house, I vacillate between the things I've been drooling over for years and, you guessed it, functionality. When you're spending money, and not just day dreaming about your dream space, it's a hard line. I love the bridge faucet. LOVE it. But the other is so much more functional. Can't wait to see what you decide.

Catherine said...

I love your inspiration photo! I've always dreamed of having a wonderful antique baking table as a kitchen island. Unfortunately, it would take up our entire kitchen. And love windows over sinks. Trina

Rie said...

That last faucet reminds me of ours. We got ours at Costco for $129.00!! Not bad aye?

Patty said...

You should definitely go for the faucet with the hose attached, it's so much more useful.

Anonymous said...

We are planning a typical traditional style kitchen in our new house. However, I'm with you. An industrial style faucet would be a terrific way to break up the monotony.

Doug Davis said...

Do the second one...I have the first style (Perrin & Rowe, the one everybody has...) but I wish I'd done the more industrial style. Danze makes a relatively affordable one (Parma Prerinse Single Handle Faucet) and if you want the real deal, Hansgrohe's version is A-MAZ-ING. And expensive :)

Jennifer said...

Mmm Doug I do love that one. Can I come visit it? I'm not even going to LOOK at that Hansgrohe version -- that's how I got in this mess in the first place!

katy elliott said...

This is good photo. I've been brainstorming how am i going to line up my stove, sink, and fridge on one wall when the kitchen is not in the middle.

Can't wait to see what you find in terms of faucets. So on my list too!

NameBrandFaucets said...

This product didn’t give them a difficult time in installing it in their kitchens.

Kitchen Faucet