Monday, March 29, 2010

Ideas for the Breakfast Room


You have probably never seen our breakfast room (this is not it!). There's not much to see. It's cut off from our kitchen by an awkward set of hanging cabinets and isn't much more than a pass-through at the moment. But we're working on it (or at least, thinking about working on it).


I'd love to break up all of the hard angles in the room with a round or oval table and soften it with an upholstered bench or small sofa. Then add a couple of chairs to round out the seating. I think we will still eat most of our meals in the dining room, but it will be nice to have the option of more space.


A rug to cover the lovely linoleum (which is covering more linoleum, we already checked) will really help. And we'll definitely replace the rickety (and ahem, dusty) ceiling fan with an interesting light fixture.


If I can't come up with a bench/small sofa, I love the look of wicker chairs around a round table.


So, I've got my eyes peeled for deals on a table, chairs and/or bench, a light fixture, and a rug. Whew!

Photos: Grant Gibson, Tracery Interiors, Style at Home, Megan Thompson for Cottage Living, and Cote de Texas.

13 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

Great idea's , we are restling with our kitchen redo too!
So many choices and ways to go when re working the kitchen, I like the idea of angles against the L - shape or the box shape.
Good luck,
L.

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh what fun. I wish I had a breakfast nook in my home. It was always one of my must haves and then we fell in love with the house we have and it didn't happen. So I'll have to live through you for my love of a breakfast nook. Keep us posted!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I'm definitely going to have to steal some of these ideas! Our breakfast room in our new house is just a small "hallway" ...hmph. These are gorgeous!

Sarah said...

I really like the idea/look of a bench or loveseat

Unknown said...

Love all those seating options. Good luck on your search for the perfect breakfast nook finds. Our house doesn't have a formal dining room, unfortunately, just an eat-in-kitchen, which is also a pass-through to the (finished) basement. I wonder if the bench and round table (which we currently have) setup will work for a regular dining area as well?

CRICKET said...

Not sure what your breakfast nook looks like but in our last house my husband built a banquet for about $100 and everyone thought it was original to the house. I think I will now want one wherever we live.

Haven and Home said...

Love these images. It sounds like your space could be so cute! Good luck in your search, I will let you know if I see anything!

Marija said...

Love where you are going with this. And the images you collected are terrific inspiration. LOVE an upholstered banquette. This is just the type of space you'll love for Sunday breakfast or paying bills :)

Marija

Dreams of Perfection said...

The second image is simply beautiful. The chairs and settee are so nice together.

Elaine said...

This is so bizarre, but I have ALL of these pictures saved on my computer as favorites! You have great taste, haha! If only our budgets would match up :)

megan @ a life's design said...

I love the look of a breakfast nook. I will keep my eyes open for some deals for you.

A.A.B.B. said...

Love the benches they sell at Ballard Designs!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

We have a small dining room and all of your pictures are my perfection! I will be painting it soon. Good luck on your search for pretty things.
Londen