Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 998's spring update


As the weather is warming and the flowers are peeking out, I suppose it's time to lose the plaid blankets in our bedrooms. I love them and can't wait to bring them back in September, but, I like to keep things fresh. Changing things around a little helps satisfy my shopping urge, honestly.

In the guest bedroom, I wasn't ready to go to the full-on summer look of lots of crisp blue and white. I went to my fabric stash and found a pretty green and blue floral remnant I bought out of a clearance bin for next-to-nothing.


The repeat is large and needed to be appreciated, so I took a cue from the bedroom in this house and just hung it over the upholstered headboard. I folded the edges under and ironed the creases. A couple of pieces of painter's tape (I didn't have any straight pins handy) holds the bottom in place.

It doesn't match exactly, but I think it "goes." And I love the way gold-toned mirror picks up golds in the fabric. A quick, easy -- and free! -- fix for spring.

16 comments:

Alee said...

I love the mirror! You just got an award on my blog, keep up the awesome work!

Julie said...

very nice! (and the plaid blankets were a hard one to top!)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Nicely done - the fabric looks perfect hanging over the headboard.
:) Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oy ... This looks positively gorgeous! Love it!

Catherine said...

What a great idea! It adds such a sweet sense of spring - and all the beautiful weather, flowers and sunshine to come. Love it! Trina

LindsB said...

As they say on TLC's What Not to Wear, it does not have to match, it just has to GO. I think this goes perfectly, and I love the Spring look it gives to the room- just perfect!

Doug Davis said...

great minds think alike! I saw this same technique on Paula's blog too and I sat and stared at my bed last night trying to decide what fabric would work! also, you have my most favorite Mateo quilt ever on your bed...I LOVE that pattern!

Lila said...

I know how you feel, I'm debating about getting rid of my faux fur throw.... I just need to find something springy to catch my eye!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Lauren said...

i adore this room Jennifer! ANythign & everything you do to it is perfect.

That fabric is AMAZING!!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

xoxoxo

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Looks great. I need to do some things like this around my house!

paula said...

love the "new" look. so fresh. Love the garden stool too. I have one in white.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

Pretty fabric! And yes, yes it "goes" beautifully!

Kelly

Lacey said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm not sure if that is what the dogs are, would it say it on them? I've heard they are worth something, but not sure.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I just adore that chest as a nightstand. So much character!

Engl-ish said...

I love this minty green on your walls. What type/color of paint did you use? Thanks!

Jennifer said...

this is Blue Shamrock by Olympic in eggshell/satin finish.