Thursday, September 9, 2010

Inspired by: Familiar Landscapes


I believe that art should be personal, and am always drawn to landscapes that resemble familiar views. Particuarly those that look like the gentle rolling hills of middle Tennessee (which I claim as my home state) or the meandering marshes of the low country of Georgia and South Carolina (we honeymooned in Charleston, but also because I really, really like it there). John Boatright's (a native of Columbia, Tennessee) work certainly fits the bill. Not to mention, the soft colors would look great in my house!

The only thing I really know about art is that I know what I like when I see it, so excuse my lack of anything of substance to say.





Victoria Adams (immediately above and below) lives on an island on Puget Sound near Seattle and so is obviously no stranger to dramatic and sweeping vistas. I am, again, particularly drawn to the images that resemble the low country. See more of her lovely work (which is oil and wax on linen, by the way) here.


7 comments:

Notes From ABroad said...

They are all wonderful ! I would have a hard time choosing which one I wanted, or two ... or three :)

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

I completely agree that art is so personal. Also, all the pieces you've chosen really speak to me too. I'm originally from southwestern VA and went to college in TN. Seeing quiet landscapes like this makes my heart sing a little and also reminds me of home.

Jules said...

These are lovely. I know what you mean about art being personal. I picked up a landscape in the thrift store because it reminded me of my drive up the 395 to Lake Tahoe.

paula said...

these are rather breath taking.

Julie Holloway said...

isn't that what any art critic needs---that you know when you love it? I love these, too. They transport me somewhere good.

MB said...

These paintings are lovely even when looking at them on a computer screen!

Jordan and Jandee said...

I love a good landscape