Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tia Zoldan, Before and After


I am sure you will recognize one of my favorite stories from Cottage Living magazine as Tia Zoldan's California house. Julie of Milk and Honey Home recently profiled her and featured some new pictures of her house. Which of course made me immediately dig out the old pictures to compare! The new look is definitely more sophisticated, and in many ways more glamorous than the version that was featured in Cottage. Have a look.


Living room, Before: I think we can all agree that this is "the mix" done so well. It looks chic but not overly decorated.


Living room, After: Tia often chooses large scale and interesting artwork, and it looks like this new piece inspired a new color palette. The once-white walls are now a soft gray. The coffee table seems to have been painted, and the sofa recovered. Looks like some of the popular ikat on the throw pillows. She still uses an ottoman as extra seating and layers a rug over the seagrass. It's interesting to see the same basic idea in different incarnations.



Kitchen, Before: The mostly-white kitchen had a classic subway-tile backsplash with a pretty border, and warm accessories.


Kitchen, After: The walls got a coat of green-gray paint, and it looks like the window trim and sashes are darker. The two upper cabinets are painted as well. I love this look, especially the floors (laid in a herringbone pattern before it was so trendy) and that great rug. I don't know what the banquette looked like before, but I suspect it wasn't black.


Console, Before: I'm actually not sure this is the same area, but let's pretend. I'm looking at the console in the left side of the photo.


Console, After: The sconce is updated, and I love the round mirror. I usually prefer symmetry, but this arrangement is cool.


Dining room, Before: I've always loved the mix of chairs, and I also love to see a generous rug under a table. Bare floors can look a little naked!


Dining room, After: I'll be honest, this is not my favorite -- I'm just not glam enough for gold chairs and zebra, I guess. But, I can see its appeal. In the very left of the photo, it looks like one of the striped barrel-back chairs is still around, even though the host's chair has been changed (is that burlap?!). The table is the same, and again, it's fun to see the different ways to use it. The wall color looks different, though photography can really play tricks with color. This does appear to be the same color as the kitchen, so maybe it is new. The curtains are definitely new, and while I'm not sure how I like them cutting off the top window, I think this faces the street, so they are probably necessary. I'd love to know if that big green armoire is still on the wall to the left!


Bedroom, Before: I've always liked this. Again, not an over-decorated look.




Bedroom, After: The bedroom also got a dose of glam with gray paint instead of white, and new lamps and bedside tables. The new curtains look more tailored, and the darker fur throw is sexier (for lack of a better term). The headboard and sconces remain, and I love subtle mix of patterns on the bed.


Daughter's room, Before: The girls' bedroom was sweet, but not overly so. I love the mix of feminine florals and mis-matched furniture.


Daughter's room, After: She has definitely grown up! I believe the girls are nearing their preteen years, and this room reflects that.

I've loved seeing this transformation -- it's as if the house has grown up with the family. As I am still making decisions on our first house, it gives me hope that even a designer has to start somewhere (where those Ikea chairs in the dining room?) and that upgrades can be made as you go. Even if Cottage Living has already knocked on your door!

21 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

What a difference. I really liked the before, and definately like some of the afters just as well.
Thanks for sharing,I will have to dig out my old cottage living and do compares.
L.

Fran said...

I agree...it is encouraging that with some new elements and some upgrades you can really transform the look of your space. This was a great post! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

I love the changes! My favorite is the living room switcheroo - I need that new piece of artwork!!! I'm with you on the dining room...seems a little much.

Southern Lady said...

Those are some major changes. I actually like the before a little better. I am more for casual living and decor. With that said, I believe that everyone's home should reflect who they are. I see a very lively family in that house. Carla

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

I think I'm partial to the before, though it is a lot of fun to see a home as it changes over time.

LindsB said...

What a difference, the house looks so different now!

Jenny Beth said...

definately a unique transformation!! like you said nice to see the house grow up with the family.

the gardener's cottage said...

hi jennifer,

you should do a post on serial redecorating. i loved the before and the after was different but just so-so for me.

why do americans redecorate at such rapid speed? the english do not decorate like this. it seems everything here is disposable and so trendy. i'm getting tired of it. i think it's great to repaint and refreshen but i think things have gotten out of hand. what is your opinion?

~janet

megan @ a life's design said...

It is so interesting to see how her house has changed. I like the before better, but that is just me. Thanks for posting it!

Simply_Tea said...

I have to say i loved the before photo's more than the afters... but each to there own taste i guess!

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

I remember this in Cottage Living. I really miss that magazine!!

I gotta admit, I think I liked most of the befores better than the afters. The befores were much lighter and brighter which is obviously my taste. But it's all still beautiful, interesting to see the dramatic changes.
Chris

Doug Davis said...

I liked the dining room better before...WAY better! I do love that the bedroom got darker, I keep thinking I should repaint mine. Hmm

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I think I liked everything better before....

Unknown said...

what a difference ! Came out great and .... grey is beautiful.
Greetings from Germany

Gina

Jennifer said...

Janet -- I agree. I am decorating our first house so I don't have much perspective, but I'm trying to do so with an eye toward the future. We bought a few "disposable" pieces of furniture out of necessity when we were first married, but we're over that! Putting them together isn't all that fun anyway :) I'd love to do a post on this in the future, but in the meantime, here are two recents posts you might find relevant:

http://southernhospitalityblog.com/decor-longevity-how-often-do-you-redecorate

http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2010/09/top-ten-design-elements.html

Rachel said...

Oh, this was one of my favorites from Cottage Living too! It's so interesting to see all the changes - in a lot of ways, it looks more masculine. I would say, though, that for the most part, I did like it better before. But like you said, it's nice to see the transformation and progression of design.

Have a great weekend!

Julie Holloway said...

How did I miss this post? Have I been in Siberia? You know, if you read her blog the roof over my head (I don't have the exact link) you'll see how Californian Tia is, in a good way. She grew up there and they really do start trends there. It just happens. She always seem to be inspired by local artists and the fashion in L.A. I think she is sooo true to herself, and I dig that. Fun post!

Nita Stacy said...

I'm so glad you showed this cottage. It was a favorite of mine from Cottage Living. I loved seeing how it has changed. Although I have to say...I pretty much liked the before in all the photos. Still I loved seeing this home again.

I just became your newest follower. So glad I found your blog.

Nita Stacy said...

Oops! I assumed I could become a follower. Well, I'll just copy you to my blog roll then!

lia said...

i saw in your daughter s room the first picture has orange pinkish curtains,can u please tell m where i can find them,thank you very much,cattalilly88@hotmail.com

karen tuffy said...

can you tell me the name of the counter top in the before and after kitchen i love love it