Thursday, September 2, 2010

Outdoor Paint Inspiration


The exterior of our house (seen here last fall) is a combination of red brick and gray board-and-batten siding with white trim and black shutters (and blue doors). There's a lot going on and I've wanted to paint since day 1, but that project isn't really on our short-term radar. Not that this deters me from looking for inspiration.


I had nearly decided that we would paint all of it either creamy white or a dark charcoal (with a tiny hint of green) when I spotted this house on Tracery's facebook page. Designed by Hudson Architecture, it is the best of both worlds and I think I am in love.


I love that the windows are the same color as the siding, and to me, this is more interesting that swathing the house in one color and trying to pretend it's all one material. I think I would lose the shutters (I prefer them to be working -- Charleston, South Carolina spoiled me on that), but what color should the columns be?

13 comments:

paula said...

love this look.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I absolutely love this look. I hope that you do it soon! It's gorgeous!

René said...

I love it too.

-Rene

Courtney said...

I think the columns would look great the coppery/woody color of the mailbox in the inspiration photo. I do realize the mailbox probably is copper, but you could do more of a coppery/brown.

Valerie said...

If you're wanting to copy that look (and get the same vibe on your house) I would think that the columns should be same as the porch ceiling/rafters/siding like in the inspiration photo. Then if your brick was the light color you might want to go a few shades deeper than the siding for the door color. Otherwise if you paint all the porch and the door the same color you'll lose any impact or focus of the front door. Add the coppery color via hardware (if you have the budget). My 2 cents. :)

Doug Davis said...

The columns absolutely should be the color of the eaves/fascia/rafter tails...they support the roof framing so they should be the color of the roof framing. Always, always, always, forever and ever, amen. :)

Glad you like the color scheme...I'm pretty fond of this house too.

Aimee@ the Functional Space said...

Love it! I've been struggling with the full exterior palette of my own home. The windows need to be replaced and I'd like to replace the front door too. I'm not willing to commit to a palette until we do those projects. It may be awhile!

Gail said...

The only things I would change is to replace the door with a darker one like your inspiration photo and paint the brick white. I personally love the dark shutters. They add character. I can totally relate to wanting to change up your house even with other things pressing. I am 29 weeks along and "nesting" has fully set in. What they don't tell you is that it goes far beyond planning for baby! I wish I had time to redecorate my entire house that's how crazy it is!

Southern Lady said...

Pretty colors! Carla

Pink Wallpaper said...

loving the dark accents w/ the door and trim!!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Love the colors and the idea of the windows the same color as the siding. Never would have thought of that.
I think I'd go with the darker colors for the posts, but I'm sure either would be lovely.

house for sale Philippines said...

Beautiful outdoor paints. Love it.

Deirdre G

Kristopher Diss said...

You have a very lovely house. It has a laid back and homey feel that I find very appealing. What I love about your inspiration house is the row of windows on the side. This way, you can appreciate the beauty of the outdoors in the comforts of your home.