Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 412's project


Remember back in May when I totally teased you about a project? Well, sorry about that! It's just now coming to fruition, and several of you guessed correctly, we're reupholstering chairs!

These two French-inspired chairs sat in my great-grandmother's living room for many years, and as my granddad put it "no one ever sat in them." Later, they were moved to the family's lake house and sat in an out-of-the-way spot. Though I spent countless summer weekends there as a kid, I barely remember them. We acquired them in the spring as we were helping to clean out the lake house and replace the old, musty furniture.


After a few hours in the sunlight the musty smell is much better, but the msutard yellow chenille fabric leaves a little to be desired. They were made in the 1960s, after all. After much soul searching, I finally selected Paisley Linen by Suzanne Rheinstein for Lee Jofa in Slate Blue, and this morning shipped them off to the upholsterer (which I will tell you more about after I get them back safe and sound).

This is a project for work, and I'm excited about showing you the finished product -- both the chairs and the project!

Happy Weekend!

4 comments:

beachy in the burbs said...

I have a chair from my Grandfather that I would love to have reupholstered, but I'm not sure how to go about it and how to find someone that's not too expensive, but someone creditable and will do a good job. It's a piece of furniture that I treasure from my childhood so I'm nervous about trusting someone to rip it apart and put it all back together again. Do you have any advice for how to find someone to do the reupholstery work?

My Notting Hill said...

Love the fabric. Looking forward to seeing them when they come back and the project you mentioned!

megan @ a life's design said...

Lovely!
I love the fabric and the chairs!
They will look wonderful!

Rie said...

Where oh where did you purchase the fabric?? It would be perfect in our living room!