Thursday, January 15, 2009

Day 565: Scott's recap, part II


Definitive proof that Eddie, Jaithan and I are now BFF. Er, well, we definitely would have been had I not been a total wimp and waited to introduce myself until the last possible minute of our little tour. Lucky for me, they stuck around while we all shopped, and we chatted over a pretzel and chicken salad before parting ways. It really was so much fun, and I hope they will get the chance to do more trips in the future. Here are a couple more fun things we spotted at Scott's.


Eddie offered redo tips on this cute x-bench, among other pieces.

I went on a little side adventure and checked out a table of antique and vintage fixtures and hardware. These could really bring some character to a bathroom.

He had just about everything in every finish you could imagine. I sifted through this pile looking for something that would work on the drawers of my blue chest, but couldn't come up with 8 of anything. In hindsight, it might have been kind of cool to do eight different knobs of similar sizes and finishes.

I also really loved these doorknobs. I've seen antique doorknobs in several different places, but rarely see them with all of the hardware you'd need to actually use them. Most of these did have the hardware, and started at $20 each (we just paid $25 for a new doorknob at Lowe's).

One dealer -- a fabric designer -- had bolts and blots of fabric at an extremely discounted rate. He showed us one roll (I think it was Clarence House) that retails for $1,000/yard. I didn't recognize any patterns, but I'm no expert on fabric, and he definitely had some pretty things.


Erika, these turtles are for you! The same dealer had a couple of really big shells, too.



There were some totally random things, like this enormous sleigh! If I lived on a farm in Connecticut, this would totally be a part of my Christmas decorations!

And this enormous white leather settee. There were two, actually, and they were at least 6 feet tall. Not antiques, obviously, but interesting nonetheless.

All of these dough bowls were about $125, which makes my $50 sound like a pretty good deal!

Speaking of random, does anyone know more about these angel wings? I saw them all over the place at market, and was surprised to see them again at Scott's. The dealer was no where to be found or I would have gotten the scoop. In any case, they were super-pretty and would be neat in a frilly little girl's room, I think.


Love old jars, especially with crusty lids.


Zoe, all of the vintage furs made me think of you!


This was my object lesson of the day. I've seen these in antique stores before, and they have always puzzled me. Why would anyone need a little crystal dumb bell?? Turns out they are knife rests -- a fancy little contraption to keep your table linens clean. Learn something new every day!


These lamps made of hubcaps (rims?) were cool. You can see that he had lamps made of all sorts of interesting things.


These three plates were some of the prettiest I've ever seen! Oh, so pretty. Too bad there was only two dinner plates and a salad plate (probably should have taken them home anyway, oh well!).


This lovely lady is here to say hello to my mother-in-law (Hi Nancy!), who has just begun a similar project using shells she collected while living on the Gulf Coast.


The detail was gorgeous! I especially loved her little belt and coral "corsage."

11 comments:

Allison Hasel said...

The more people post about their fabulous day with Eddie Ross, the more I regret not going! Looks like you had a great time!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Sounds like it was a great day of shopping!!

paula said...

oh, now i really wish i was there! your pic with eddie and jaithan is quite lovely too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the shell lady! She is gorgeous. Thanks for adding her especially for me to see!! I will send you a picture of my shell lady, still a work in progress, in a few days. Love you, Nancy

Wanting What I Have said...

I love to check your blog every now and then...and I had to comment when I saw the pic of the "crystal dumb bells" - because I was LOL...I too have seen those at antique stores...and I always wondered why anyone would give a baby a crystal rattle...that doesn't even make noise! Ha! Thanks for educating me!

LLK said...

That trip looks like it was so much fun. Oh and I love your pairing of a vest with your jacket. I have the same jacket in blue and never thought of doing that(great homage to Eddie too, since he loves his vests!).

megan @ a life's design said...

Oh! You found the hardware man! You could spend hours at his tables. We found an old mail slot there once and I regret not buying it. Maybe again one day! And I am happy to learn what the small crystal dumb bells are used for. Great trip!

Pink Wallpaper said...

alright, i need to make a point to go to scott's in the near future...and my eyes are on those turtle shells and those fab old, crusty jars!! oh, i would have been the same way w/ introducing myself to eddie!!

Things That Inspire said...

I agree with Allison - I wish I had made the effort to go to Scott's with the group! It is so daunting to go there alone, with two huge buildings full of stuff...going with a guide like Eddie Ross would be great!

Lauren said...

Love the setee & the rustic bowls!!

erika said...

FUN FUN FUN! (i'm just a little behind in blog reading)... love those turtle shells!!