Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 578's pretty things


The other day, Layla at The Lettered Cottage wrote a wonderful post on the impact of fresh flowers on a person's mood. After reading it, I couldn't help but pick up some pretty pink tulips while on a quick grocery run.

I love flowers and bring them home from the grocery store fairly often (well, less often lately). But I usually put them in the living where -- supposedly -- the can be enjoyed by more people. This time, on advice from Layla, I put them in the kitchen, which is where I honestly spend a lot of my time when I'm at home. And you know what? I did perk me up, even on a rainy day.

On that note, I also updated the wall of my cubicle with a photo from February's Domino. Even though it's just a picture, those big, bright peonies are much nicer to look at than my to-do list (and yes, that is a Burger King crown on my desk -- another story for another blog!).

Did you hear the news? Guess I'm going to have to pick up the Domino Book of Decorating before it becomes a collector's item ...

9 comments:

Emily Lilley said...

I had NOT heard about Domino, and that is the absolute saddest thing ever!! Sad. I am very bummed regarding this news.

Erin said...

I am very sad too! I LOVE Domino!! Ugh, stupid economy... it ruins everything.

paula said...

you have got to be kidding! domino too, ugh. i seem to be wasting a lot of money on subscriptions lately.

Amanda said...

Love the flowers. I need to be better about picking up fresh flowers. You know the Fresh Market has reasonable flowers. I think they have a dozen roses for $6 or something crazy like that. We got our rose petals for the wedding from there and they were WAY less than other florist.

The Marden Family said...

Where did you get that adorable desk calendar? It is too cute!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

So sad about Domino.

I agree with Layla that flowers really do brighten up a space. I love having fresh ones around the house. Lately I haven't been following my own advice, because I've been saving my pennies.

I love your work space. Those pictures really make an impact.

I need to do something like this in my cube. I've been having crappy days at work and need some cheering up!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

SO sad about Domino. Love your little letterpress calendar on your desk!

Lauren said...

so sad about domino too.

on the flower note, my husband sent me an email with pretty pics of a bouquet last week bc we're trying to save. (definitely made me smile & laugh to open the email) but so not the same :)

LindsB said...

I read this right before I left work, and I left and went straight to Trader Joes and got some fresh flowers for my apartment! I always love to have them around, but I never seem to get them for myself Thanks for the reminder- now I have something beautiful to look at when I get home from work!