Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day 593's love: chests and commodes


I have a serious thing for chests and commodes (no, not toilets!). They are endlessly useful, but also quite attractive in any room. Small ones look great as bedside tables (as seen above), larger ones can even hold a television set. They look especially pretty under a mirror and accompanied by a lamp (or two).

I was browsing 1st Dibs the other day and hit the mother load of beautiful chests. Of course, local antique shops, flea markets, and probably even garage sales have plenty to offer, too (AND I could actually afford them). Painted, stained, metal -- I love them all!


Gustavian Painted Commode from the late 18th century is available through Susan Golden Antiques.


A piece like this would be a great investment. It will never go out of style, and it will probably look better as it ages. Your kids will fight over it when you're gone. French Provincial Commode at Sutter Antiques.


I love a pair of anything, and this pair of 1940's Bleached Mahogany Neoclassical-styled chests is no exception. They would look fabulous next to a bed and can you imagine all of the stuff you could cram in there?! Or maybe that's just me ...


I love the finish on this Painted Directoire Commode. Sure, it's $4,000, but it's a great look to try to copy with a less valuable piece you score for pennies (like The Stamford Wife or My Notting Hill did).


This fruitwood Italian Commode is just lovely. I think I'd put it between two chairs in a living room (I'm into this fantasy decorating lately -- very recession-friendly!).


This metal three-drawer chest is interesting and would add a sort-of industrial chic thing to a room. Mega points awarded to it's future owner for originality (Megan, I feel like you'll like this one).


And this is the chest that launched the post (and way too much time spent browsing 1st Dibs). Oh. You just can't fake that kind of patina. It's so pretty, I don't even have anything else to say, expect that you should definitely click through the detail shots (I saved all of them).

7 comments:

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

great post! love all of them!

Amy said...

nice post! i saw the most beautiful chest at an estate sale in mtn brook but sadly it already had a sold sign attached.

paula said...

these are so stunning.

SGN said...

Hey Jennifer!
I LOVE the last one in your post. The one with all the detail shots... Awesome!!
Hope you're having a good week!

Alison

LindsB said...

Love them all, they are all stunning!! Living in an apartment having all that space in those drawers would be amazing. I look all the time for just the right one, hopefully it will come soon.

megan @ a life's design said...

Oh, I can't wait to have room for a chest one day! Love the post!

KatyO! said...

I love love love the Gustavian one!!!