Monday, March 9, 2009

Day 618's weekend recap


Yesterday afternoon, my sister coerced me into skipping my Sunday afternoon nap and heading with her to our favorite local flea market/antique mall. Sister is getting married this summer and is on the hunt for some things to turn her future husband's bachelor pad into a pretty first home for two, and -- for some reason -- thinks I can help. We don't really count on this place for good furniture, but the prices are good, so it's worth a shot.


Sister has always had a thing for old bottles, and we hit the mother load here. I like to have a few on hand for small arrangements, especially when the weather is warm.




We liked this "gentleman's chest." It had some signs of wear and tear, but that's how we like it. With a hanging bar on one side and drawers on the other, it'd be the perfect piece to have around when merging two closets into one.


She's scoped out a spot in the living room that is just begging for a cute little chest and mirror. We liked the size of this one, but were turned off by the odd paint job. Black and redish-purple spray paint? Why? For just $100, it would be worth it to paint it a different color and strip the hardware (like this one).


Some things just defy explanation. People are making lamps out of big, old bottles left and right, but filling them with silk flowers was new to me. Though, from the looks of the flowers, they'd been in there for quite a while, so maybe this person was a little ahead of her time on the bottle lamps. For $35 they were quite a steal, but we were a little perplexed about how we would remove the flowers (and how they got in there in the first place).


Like I said, I wouldn't rely on this place for big-ticket items, but it's always filled with little pretties. I had a long mental wish list as we browsed the aisles, but, in the end, stuck to my self-imposed $10 limit and just brought home this little milk glass urn (which I think will look so cute with a tiny maidenhair fern inside!) and old copy of Wuthering Heights with a pretty green fabric cover.

If any of you local gals are in the mood to browse, you can find the Bama Flea Mall (terrible name, I know!) at 1605 Ashville Road in Leeds (just 15 or so minutes from town going east on I-20).

7 comments:

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh it looks like you and your sister had a great time. I love milk glass and have a growing collection of it so I approve of your purchase!

Those lamps were something else. I love the shape of the old bottle, but I have no clue how you could get them out.

Arlynn said...

It sounds like you had a really sweet Sunday afternoon, and I can't think of a better way to spend it, other than in an antique store!

In other news, I think that The Newlywed Diaries is such a Unique & Chic blog, it deserved an award : ) Check it out here:

http://fleurde-licious.blogspot.com/2009/03/ooohhhh-yeahhhh.html

Thanks for all of the great inspiration you send my way & have fun with the award!

paula said...

I wish I saw that vase first, ha!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I have never been there... may have to run out there one day! Love maidenhair ferns... will look great in your new milk glass urn!

John said...

Great finds! Love all of those glass bottles. I share your sister's weird obsession with vintage glass, so it's good to know I'm not alone.

-John
www.thisyounghouse.com

bryn alexandra said...

Gahhhh that gentleman's chest is exactly what I'm looking for. Too bad I live so far away :(

megan @ a life's design said...

I have got to go there the next time we are in town. That gentlemen's chest is a 'must have'! Thanks for sharing!