Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Day 627's inspiration from the blogosphere


Now that spring seems to have settled in here in the Deep South (I spotted some Azaleas starting to bloom today!), I'm dying to get some of our outdoor spaces in order. The backyard is basically a blank slate, with about ten mature hardwoods and a (falling) retaining wall, so we're taking it pretty slowly and trying to do things as we can.

We've also been working on our curb appeal, and when Joni of Cote de Texas posted this image (above) earlier in the week, I was in love. Don't worry, I'm not going repaint the door, but those square planters and boxwoods did catch my eye.


A quick trip to a favorite local garden shop, and I found something that would fit the bill. Aren't these great? Too bad even the smallest size is much too large for our porch.


Plenty of boxwoods, too. Some round and some shaped into neat little cones. By the way, I love how boxwood green looks with pale blues and grays -- it reminds me of this room.


Is a project ever really done? It doesn't seem that way around here. Nathan of Laurel Street had a little fun with our front door, adding some trim to give it a little more presence (like he did with his cabinet doors). We were going to do this if we stripped and restained it, but it would look great painted, too.


After my whining about the $100 price tag of the ring door knockers I found online, sweet Brittny of Design Champagne pointed me to Restoration Hardware's version -- at much a much more easily swallowed $35 each.

13 comments:

Jenny at LGN said...

Love that knocker and the pic from Joni's blog (saved that one myself). I think we are design twins.
Your front door is going to look amazing(er)!

Star said...

I am forbidden to go into Restoration Hardware as it will result in me going bankrupt and living on the street with all of my beautiful purchases.

megan @ a life's design said...

The trim looks great. I can't wait to see what else you add for curb appeal. Did you see the planters/boxwoods over @ This Young House. Great minds think alike!

cotedetexas said...

I'm going to send this on to Ron at Empel Collections - he will get such a kick out it!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I did have a little fun :-) I'm running out of space in my house! And no, projects are NEVER finished. I kinda love that, you know?

Anonymous said...

How great to see the entrance to my new showroom in your blog. I am proud it is inspiring you ( and others) Good luck with finding the right pieces, but it looks you are eyeing some great pieces al ready. It will be beautiful after putting those few decorations around and on your door. I will keep track of it.

I am so whishing Restoration Hardware would open up shop in Europe. They have some great stuff!

Ron ( Empelcollections.com)

paula said...

The door looks great. I too am thinking about the garden and front porch. I am so ready to get started.

Anonymous said...

Megan and Paula,

The trim is virtual. Nathan photoshopped it on the door to give a visual. We will let you know when it is purchased and installed.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Love the knocker... and the planters (from Leaf and Petal)?? Too bad they didn't have any that were smaller!

Rosemary and Tim said...

Hey Jennifer! I'm new to the blog world and I'll admit...it's a little overwhelming. It's fun learning all the tips and tricks though, and my site isn't up to par yet with all these cute ones I see...but maybe I'll get the hang of it one of these days.

I love all your house projects and fun things you post. Great ideas for me, as we're kind of in the same stage with things.

Anonymous said...

those front doors are heaven. the color, the knobs. just so perfect.

Corey said...

The trim will look great. Some chunkier trim, including a decent cornice, around the door could also help accentute the entry.

LindsB said...

I cant wait to see it on your door- I still LOVE that color you painted it. I wish they allowed door painting in my apartment building