Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day 886: Santa came early


I decided a few months ago that I was going to ask for dining chairs for Christmas. I mean, you know you're getting old when ... right? I knew I wanted upholstered slipcovered chairs, and it didn't take long to decide on the Henriksdal chair from Ikea. Really, you can't beat the price, and so far we're quite pleased with them.


I'm also so pleased with the way the former living room rug looks in the dining room -- it's a perfect fit! And so much warmer and more finished-looking than without it, yes? Don't worry, the living room floor isn't bare, it's covered in my $19.99 Salvation Army rug.


It was too much of a deal to pass up, though I got it home to discover that it was most definitely almost completely covered in mildew (lovely!). Luckily, a quick Google search came up with simple instructions that worked immediately. I mixed one part bleach with 6 parts water* and applied it with a spray bottle. I used a toothbrush to work it in on the most soiled parts, and it dried mildew-free. Above on the left is the cleaned side, and on the right you can see the mildew. I think it may have darkened the rug very slightly (or perhaps it wasn't completely dry), but since I bleached the whole thing, you can't tell a bit. And yes, I will making more frequent visits to that Salvation Army.

*Just FYI, you should not bleach sisal or jute.

15 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

I like those chairs A LOT. I've been thinking about the same ones for end chairs in our dining room. Your dining room looks lovely.

Sarah said...

those chairs look great!

Catherine said...

Ever since you posted on your great Salvation Army finds, I've been itching to go! Ours is over an hour away though so it hasn't happened yet! LOVE the IKEA chairs in your dining room, what a deal. Also, love the seagrass rug too. It does give it more of a finished look for sure. Beautiful! xoTrina

Jen @ homeinthecountry said...

Those chairs are wonderful, and paired with the rug, they bring a lot of warmth to the room! I also am so super-impressed by your salvation army find!

micah said...

Love the chairs and the rug - perfection!

Malissa said...

I am a long time stalker, but had to comment b/c I have had those same dining chairs for 8 years and they still look and feel brand new! Love your blog!

Haven and Home said...

Love the chairs!

LindsB said...

Its so funny, the older you get the more boring the presents. Well, I should rephrase they are not boring to the person asking. But I asked for a table for Christmas and a few other "boring house things" as my boyfriend called it.

LOVE the chairs!! Such a great addition to the room. Oh, and can I say JEALOUS much about that rug, I want one so bad now :)

megan @ a life's design said...

The chairs look great, as does the rug. I will have to go to the Salvation Army with you. Merry, Merry!

Lauren said...

love love love the chairs!!! i just got really similar ones from ballard and i'm now sort of wishing i had gone with yours!! (too late now so i will pretend.)

love how it's looking & again that was the best steal ever on the rug!!

xoxo

paula said...

Jennifer, I LOVE it! Every piece looks perfect.

No.35style said...

love your dining room..so pretty..i have the the henriskdal bar stools in my kitchen.

My Notting Hill said...

The chairs look great. Love the lantern and seagrass. Good for you for figuring how to get rid of the mildew.

Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

your room has such nice symmetry and balance. and it feels so welcoming!

kelly

~Grace Happens~ said...

JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG. LOVE IT!!!!

XO,

GRACE