Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 894's old favorite from Cottage


This Birmingham house is one of my old favorites from Cottage Living. I have a copy in my stash (I think ...), but it recently appeared on SouthernLiving.com in a story on holiday decorating and thought you might like it too.

The dining room is sooooo great. The owner -- a jewelry designer -- taped and painted the walls herself. I also love the sideboard (and its contents), the shutters, the raffia-backed leather chairs, the chandelier and the wonderful ceiling! Most designers advise using a matte finish on the ceiling, but how fabulous is this?


The mantel swag is so clever it kills me. But I can only imagine how much fun my cat and dog would have destroying this one ...


I spy a lone antler! Guess my affection for them goes back further than I thought. It's hard to see here, but this arrangement is four club chairs around a coffee table -- so cozy and unexpected.



Love the dark kitchen cabinets and the backsplash behind the range.

And a good banquette always gets my vote. Beautiful brass hardware on doors, too. If I recall correctly, her daughters' rooms were just darling. Might have to dig out that issue ...

15 comments:

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

love it all. i looked at this issue just the other night!

paula said...

I loved this home, still do.

Riviera Boardwalk said...

I am a little confused about the kitchen colors. I know you posted how much you liked the white kitchen Joni Webb likes but now I see you in a beautiful kitchen with black cabninets? What made you change your mind? I think they are both beautiful. nancy
www.rivieraboardwalk.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

Nancy -- I'm confused myself because I like them BOTH!

Anonymous said...

I love the whole thing - but that dining room! The chandy and paint treatment should come over to my house.

Amanda said...

Oooh I really dig that backsplash.

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

just had the dining room on my blog for xmas decor! loved seeing the rest of the house! thanks!

megan @ a life's design said...

i like the dark cabinetry; and i love a banquette in the kitchen.

bluehydrangea said...

One of my all time favorites. I tried to find the pictures 2 weeks ago and couldn't so thanks for sharing them!! Love it..love it all!!

Rachel said...

Ah, I miss this magazine!!!
I have this in my stash and was looking at it recently - such a pretty and creative house.

for the love of a house said...

I so miss CL... I have all the old issues too! love,love,love this house- perfect!
Happy holidays to you Jennifer & Wes!
joan

Lauren said...

love love love!!!!!! i've always loved her black shots throughout the house!!

that room with the tree in it too just feels perfect for an afternoon nap!!!


xoxo

kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

that brass hardware IS gorgeous. for some reason it makes me think of these beautiful copper gutters that i recently saw and have been lusting after.

kelly

cotedetexas said...

I miss CL so much too. I hope Southern Living becomes more like them now that the editor is there. let's hope so!!!!

pakistani matrimonial rishta said...



Thanks for sharing
we are Roofing Repair company contact uss canada(604 655 8486)
leaf guard canada
pakistani Rishta
roofing company
photobooth rentals in australia