Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 906's Christmas Essential: Festive Tunes


I love Christmas music. Yes, I am a little sick of the line-up on the local radio station (at least they seem to have banned the Hippo song), but there is still lots of good stuff out there. And it helps me get in the Christmas mood. We grew up listening to the classics on a record player -- Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, and yes, Gene Autrey, the singing cowboy.

This year I've been playing Chris Tomlin's album Glory in the Highest pretty much on repeat. I love worship music and it is a great daily reminder of why Christmas is so special.


This is my favorite holiday album, ever. I've been listening to it for so long it's about time to get a new one (or I could just put it on my iPod!). I confess that I love Jewel (early Jewel mostly), but even if you don't, you will like this. Beware, there is yodeling. Wes hates it, but I love it! Where else can you hear yodeling? Her version of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing is my all-time favorite. What are you listening to this year?

9 comments:

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I love early Jewel, too.

I still have it written on a sticky note in our office for Michael to download the Chris Tomlin cd. Or maybe I should learn how to download them myself!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Oh, and I have been listening to some mix cd that my sister made me. I don't even know who is singing the Christmas songs on it!

Unknown said...

I love this Christmas album as well. My other two favorites id Cyndi Lauper's Christmas album and John Denver's- One is fun and goofy, the other classic Christmas

Unknown said...

I usually add one or two cds to my Christmas music collection each year. This year is the Straight No Chaser "Christmas Cheers" album. I usually prefer more traditional Christmas music, but these guys are so talented.

Some of my favorites over the years are Third Day "Christmas Offerings" and Amy Grant "Home for Christmas". I think I may need to check out the Chris Tomlin album on iTunes.

yvonne said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely be picking up the Chris Tomlin album!

Jennifer said...

Oooh Laurie, John Denver. Yes!

LindsB said...

Christmas music is the best, it puts me in a good mood no matter WHAT!! I'm so sad that its almost time to stop listening to it- I wish I could listen all year round :)

Merry Christmas!!

megan @ a life's design said...

We listened to Christmas music all the way home. Merry Merry Christmas to you and Wes!

kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

i love christmas music. but, i have to admit, mostly the charlie brown christmas movie variety!

kelly