Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 677's HomeGoods jackpot


I went to HomeGoods and TJ Maxx last night (yard sale cash in hand) to look for some things for the guest bedroom. I didn't find everything I needed, but did find lots of things I didn't need.

They usually have great pillows, but I always check the clearance rack for the ugly ones on sale. If the cover is removable, you can get a great pillow form -- usually down, too -- for next-to-nothing. My latest find is a lumber-sized down-filled pillow for $5!


The rug racks were open and this one was beckoning me with a siren's call. I don't often find rugs I like, and this one is perfect! And $150 is not-to-shabby for a hooked wool rug of this size.


It's so pretty I can't even stand it. Color looks a little weird here. It's a few lovely shades of blue-green -- my favorite!


I never have much success in the lamp section, but I could have happily taken home a half dozen last night. This glass jar with the cork lid and linen-look shade is cute.


So are these ribbed glass spheres with navy shades.


And these white ceramic ones with the gray drum shades. Love them! Would have to displace other beloved lamps to find a place for them at the moment.


I always check the baskets, too. We have a very shallow little closet next to the hall bath which is a total hazard to open, as all of our spare bottles and things are perched precariously inside.


I've had my eye on this little blue-green table with the metal detail, but again, really no place for it. A steal at $40.


And speaking of apple crates, how cute are these planters? They are actually intended to be planters, with drainage holes and everything. The darker stain was especially pretty.


Then I headed next door to TJ Maxx and was surprised to see several Dash & Albert rugs. There were a couple of cute little cotton ones for $12.99 and a couple of indoor-outdoor rugs in a larger size. I couldn't believe my luck when I found the one Wes wants for his office for more than 50% off retail (had to bring that one home -- surely you understand!).

Maybe you can offer a happy home to some of these fun things (except the rug, unless you plan to gift it {just kidding [sort of]}). What are your favorite discount store scores?

23 comments:

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Okay, great finds. If you didn't buy that glass jar lamp- I am headed there in a few minutes!!

And I have been wanting a D&A rug for in front of my kitchen sink.

I love TJ Maxx and Homegoods- I find a lot of my things there. Clothing and stuff for the house. They are probably my top two!

Amy said...

this can't be the HG on 280! i never find anything there. love the planters!!

we had a D&A cotton rug in our office for all of 3 weeks- it was a dirt magnet and when i tried to spot clean it that just made it worse. so sad. yay for getting the indoor/outdoor version!

Arlynn said...

Oh, you hit the nail on the head with these fab finds - Homegoods & Marshalls are usually my first stop for any type of shopping... never know what you might find!

I usually have success in ght Homegood's lamp section - most recently for a new bedside lamp for he master. It cam complete with crystal vase, pleaded/beaded shade... pure perfection for me! I'm a little moer fussy thank the jar/linen shade number - but it's super sweet!

###### said...

I did a post like this the other day! I love homegoods! And I just left and took a picture of the same cork top lamp to post on my blog! great minds see things alike I see.

Amanda said...

Jennifer, this post depresses me a little. Makes me so sad that we don't have a HG :( Look at all I am missing. Great finds though! Can't believe that you found those D&A rugs at TJ Maxx. What size did you get for Wes's study. Love that one!

Rachel Follett said...

Great finds! I love those apple crates and I agree, I think they would look fabulous as planters. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

Brooke -- it's really cute and needs a good home!

Amy -- this is the one on 31, I always think it's better than the one on 280 (and there's less traffic).

Arlynn -- sounds pretty!

Tam -- too funny!

Amanda -- I always had pretty good luck at the TJ/Marshall's in Huntsville, but maybe you just need to come down here and visit :)

Rachel -- thanks!

JMW said...

I recently wrote about D&A rugs on my blog. I had no idea you could get them at TJ Maxx! I need to check out TJ and see if I can score one. And, the glass bottle lamp with cork is very cute!

Emily Lilley said...

Ack. I desperately want those white lamps with the charcoal grey shades. Also the white ones with navy...what are the chances that they have the same things at the Homegoods in Chattanooga??

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

You totally did hit the jack-pot! So many amazing things. What did you end up going home with?

bluehydrangea said...

Dash & Albert? At TJ Maxx? You have got to love that! I may have to head over tomorrow. Great finds!

Emily Lilley said...

Well. I made my way to the Chattanooga HG, and although I did not find any of the lamps, I did manage to come away with two great pillows, a picture frame, and a stainless steel globe with countries etched into it. HG is a dangerous place.

Anonymous said...

Aren't Home Goods and TJ's fun! You just never know what you will find so it is like a treasure hunt every time. It's funny how some are better than others though...I am not a fan of the regional inconsistency.

Tricia - Avolli

paula said...

the white lamps with the gray shades are so calling my name. Can you have an addiction to lamps?

Jennifer said...

Camilla -- I restrained myself and just came home with sheets and pillows for the guest bedroom, and the rug for Wes' office. But it was hard!

Paula -- Yes, definitely yes. I have the same problem, I think.

Wendi said...

Jennifer - First, love your blog read it everyday. Second - I am not sure how you walked out without those white lamps. I would have bought them just for the shades.

Pink Wallpaper said...

ha, i love tj and home goods (although here it's called marshalls but i think they are the same thing)!!

Carrie said...

I went yesterday too after I saw your post to the one in hoover and could have bought a million things! Who knew they would have D&A!! I am a total blog stalker of most of the above commenters but do not have my own blog(except my small business one)

megan @ a life's design said...

I think this is the best HomeGoods I have seen. Even better than the one I go to here in Atl. I have to visit it next time I am in town. Dash and Albert...yes please! Thanks for sharing!

LindsB said...

What awesome findsn I LOVE going to Homegoods!! Except whenever I go with something in mind I always find 100 things I dont need or have no place for- its always a catch 22 with them. But they are one of my favorite discount stores ever.

erika said...

Gorgeous RUG!!! I was at TJMaxx in Dothan this weekend and saw some Dash and Albert rugs and was so excited!! Looks like you have a gold mine at your Homegoods... we don't have one here :(... but whenever I'm near one I must stop in.

Wanderings of a Wannabe said...

wow d&a rugs...that is pretty cool. tj's and marshall's/homegoods are just getting better an better everyday. great post!

Anna said...

Love that glass jar with cork lid! Great finds!