Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Day 696's weekend project


My July deadline for the guest bedroom has become a deadline for lots of little things around the house we've been wanting to get done. The kind of things that house guests are good motivation for.

One of those "things" has been to paint and hang the crown molding (which we bought on sale at Home Depot a few months ago) in the living and dining rooms and our bedroom. Wes took the opportunity when I was in California last weekend to get it hung (I painted it first), and this weekend, we decided that the inside of the front door finally needed painting, too.


Wanting to do something with a little more impact (and because why would I ever want a project to be simple?!) and inspired by Anne Turner Carroll's (of Cottage Living fame) living room, I decided to paint the crown and door a shade darker than the paint on the walls. The walls are Grant Beige and the crown is Bennington Gray, both from historical paint collection by Benjamin Moore. And now that I'm looking at them side-by-side, my room looks a lot like Turner's living room. Now, if only she'd come and deal with the big empty wall above my sofa!


I'm really pleased with it, but now I'm seeing that I'm going to have to deal with the rest of the white trim in the rooms sooner, rather than later. And then what about the adjoining hallway, with it's seven doors in need of painting?! Oh boy.

13 comments:

Amanda said...

trim looks great! good idea! yes, one project leads to many :)

Anonymous said...

Love your "inspiration" room. Yes, it is amazing and exhausting to start a home renovation project because it just leads to more.

Tricia - Avolli

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

It looks great! I so know how you feel. I have to re-paint all the trim and doors in my house. Ah! Talk about stressful. I'm just going to take it one room at a time and eventually it will all get done.

Lauren said...

love it!! that is one of those not-fun jobs but definitely worth it!! (i also love the CL living room!!)
xoxo

cotedetexas said...

very nice! painting trim is such a pain - good luck with all the rest.

and thank you so much for your comment today - much appreciated!!!
joni

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Jennifer- it looks great. I'm a big fan of ATC's living room. You know how one little project leads to another and another and....

bluehydrangea said...

You are brave! I would have been scared to paint it any color besides white but it looks great!!!

paula said...

Jennifer it does look amazing! Great work.

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Love that inspiration room!

Good luck with your projects! :)

DIY Claire said...

I hate painting the hallway. So fiddly. You never get a good run, so many doors.

Looks good!!

megan @ a life's design said...

love the look! can't wait to see the guest room!

LindsB said...

It looks great, I love the little extra detail- to me those make a big impact.

erika said...

love the trim and anne turner! wish she'd come do some design work for me too!!