Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day 698's fabric deals


This week, I had to pick up a bridesmaid's dress in a part of town I don't often visit. While I was there, I popped into Hancock Fabrics. I never have much luck at these places, but I hear there are deals to be had.

There were some good-looking outdoor fabrics (Marianne, I thought of your porch) and then I headed to the remnants, where I scored the pretty (slightly granny?) floral and the solid teal fabrics above. Each was marked down to $7/yard, and were another 60% off that. Both remnants were a tad under two yards, so I spent $10 and some change. Not bad, for a rookie.

That embroidered paisley is left over from my chairs -- I've got enough left for some pillows for the living room. And the green silk is the curtains in the living and dining rooms (I saved that little bit to use as a color reference). I love the way they go together, but I might be too indecisive to do anything about it.


I need some color though. My living room is beige beige beige, with a big brown sofa. I'm not sure if I'm asking for help, or just whining. Oh, and did you know that I can't sew?! Poor Wes has to sew his own buttons back on if they fall off. Good thing he took home economics in high school. I took an extra English class and an extra history class. Lot of good they do me when it comes to pillows, huh?


Alright, enough with the whining. How about a look at some pretty hydrangeas? These came from the yard of an abandoned house in our neighborhood. They deserve to be appreciated by someone, don't they?

9 comments:

Amber said...

I love the hydrangeas, very pretty!!

Tara said...

Love the fabrics! In addition to making pillows, you can also frame fabric. I've had a lot of luck framing nice fabric with some sort of interesting item arranged in the middle. You could do it shadowbox style or whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, just one idea I thought of when looking at your beautiful fabric choices! :)

LindsB said...

What great fabric finds! I'm in the middle of fabric hell, I cant make a decision to save my life- ugg why is that always the case when I need to get something done.

I wish I had a hancock fabrics around here, maybe I could find a deal like you did :)

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Fun finds.

And love the hydrangeas. I am having supper club at my house tonight and need some! My neighbor has a small bush that is in b/t our houses and I lurked around it early this morning- but there weren't enough blooms so they would probably notice if I took one!

Unknown said...

I think all the fabrics go together really well..they add a good pop of color to the browns! I don't know if you have access to a sewing machine but even for beginners curians aren't that hard to make...just make sure you pick a easy pattern. Also a good guide book is "SEW Everything Workshop" by diana rupp. Good luck!

allie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only neighborhood flower huntress. Last month there were GORGEOUS white peonies at the house across the street (for sale, not occupied). I pined over them, but my hubby denied me the pleasure of clipping some. Next season....

Robyn said...

Hydrangeas and Peonies are my favorite! Love the fabric as well!

Haven and Home said...

Oh I wish I had been with you! Thanks for thinking about me!!!!!!

Style Court said...

Jennifer, love your vignette at the end. Such pretty colors in the fabrics you found, too.