Thursday, October 8, 2009

Day 831's kitchens with an edge


Lately I'm finding myself drawn more and more to a kitchen with a little edge. Not an attitude, just one that is a little less-than-pristine. Slightly imperfect (maybe they are recycled?) subway tiles and a stainless-steel table on casters are a pleasing combination in this kitchen, published in Martha Stewart Living (and originally designed by Steven Gambrel).


Unfinished wood floors warm up this kitchen considerably, especially when paired with finished wood countertops.


Another wonderful Gambrel-designed kitchen ... sigh (this one is in his Sag Harbor home, click on it to get a better look). There are those subway tiles again. I love them with dark grout, and how practical must that be for a backsplash? The over-size tile on the floor feels more like a bank than a kitchen, and the elements of wood -- the table and the cutting boards -- give it a little rustic-ness.


This kitchen is in the current issue of Martha Stewart Living. Brooke posted the rest of the house here, and those pumpkins and antlers can be found in the article, too. The beams were salvaged from an old barn (you know I love barns), and the island is ridiculous: a massive slab of butcher block, stainless steel and wrought iron paired with delicate spindle stools. Perfect!

The formula for these is pretty simple: Warm white, cream, or gray cabinets + something raw and unfinished + something stainless + something industrial = one great kitchen.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these kitchens- and your formula is right on the money.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I love everyone of these. I really do. Daydreaming now...

Danielle and Clint said...

I think it just adds a little personality with a little bit of an edge. I actually have hardwood floors in my house that could use a little fixing up, but I like the scuffed up look. Adds character and looks lived in.

megan @ a life's design said...

i like the edge. swooning!

LindsB said...

all these pictures are beautiful. I've always loved a room with something a little off. I think the idea of using recycled subway tiles is great.

Rachel said...

I love the subway tile in the kitchens and baths below! I would love to tile halfway up the walls, but I fear that in a couple years I will ask myself "what was I thinking?"

Lauren said...

great recipe for a kitchen!!! such beauties! i love your taste.

xoxo

Haven and Home said...

Love this equation because I love the kitchens that come with it!