Friday, October 9, 2009

Day 832: Friday Flowers


Today I'm thinking about dahlias. The dark ones, particularly (I think they're called Arabian Nights?). I keep walking into stores -- even Starbucks! -- to find bouquets of the biggest, most beautiful I've ever seen, and the shopowners say they were donated by a generous customer. Wonder if it's the same person?


I suppose that means they grow nicely here. I think I will add them to must-plant-for-next-year list, which is getting kind of long.


For now, I'll admire these, and maybe hit up the farmers' market tomorrow morning (it's the last weekend!).

Happy Weekend!

Photos, from top: The Bride's Cafe, this flickr stream, and this flickr stream.

7 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

We have dalias in our yard this year. They went nuts! Ours are a little redder, though.

Design*Champagne said...

ooo dahlias are one of my favorite flowers!

Arlynn said...

I am a fan of dahlias too! There is the most stunning photograph of a phenomenal dahlia right outside my office, love it :-)

LindsB said...

They are such a pretty color- I want some now :) I'll have to check out my florist tomorrow, thanks for the intro to these pretty flowers!

Have a good weekend!

Donna said...

Love this color!!!

Unknown said...

I recently fell in love with Dahlias. I bought a couple this summer and they took very well. I live in California and we can have some pretty hot weather, but my Dahlias survived. If you plant some, the flowers can get very heavy. They need support. Here is a link (http://dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Support/NoStake.htm) that illustrates a really cool way to support them.

Recruitment said...

The dahlias on the last two pictures looked beautiful. They had a dark but lovely color. I read on the internet that dahlia also means good taste.