Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 849's recipe


So how was your weekend? I feel like I spent all of Saturday in the kitchen -- it was delightful! Pancakes for breakfast, then a loaf of pumpkin bread, and honey corn bread muffins to have with chicken corn chowder for supper.


I'm not sure how many slices of pumpkin bread I've had since Saturday. Let's just call it several. It is my mom's recipe and I think it is the best. It's fluffy, but also nice and heavy, without any nuts or strange things to get in the way.

Mom's Pumpkin Bread
2 eggs
1/2 can pumpkin
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

Mix until just blended, and pour into a floured loaf pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 and half hours.

12 comments:

Dina said...

Oh, I'm trying these this weekend...cooking for friends and these will be perfect for meal and dessert!

Star said...

Thanks for the recipes! I'm going try the pumpkin bread this week.

Laura said...

I'm so glad you shared this! I love pumpkin bread and the weather is just right for some. Yum!!!

Catherine said...

One of my favorite things about fall is all the scrumptious baking! Your Mom's pumpkin bread sounds delicious...and I love your line, "without any nuts or strange things to get in the way." I totally agree. Trina

megan @ a life's design said...

yum! i love pumpkin bread. thanks for sharing the recipe! now i can make it without a box! :)

Anonymous said...

nevermind the bread- who makes the plate? I love it!!!!

Lauren said...

mm mm mm!!! too funny i have those plates too!! they're up on my kitchen wall!!

xoxo

Jennifer said...

Colette, the plate is from TJ Maxx. I have some brown ones that I bought at least five years ago, and I stopped in the other day and they had them in black -- I had to snatch them up!

Kristen said...

I find pumpkin bread so difficult not to devour. :-D

Sarah said...

I made this yesterday and just have one question. How did you end up with so many crumbs on your plate? I practically licked mine clean! And at the rate we're going through it, I'm going to be baking another loaf or two by this afternoon!

Julie said...

Yummy. I'm going to try this pumpkin bread recipe today!

Lynda said...

Made this last night and I have to say it's the best pumpkin bread I've ever had... so moist, not too sweet, and oh so yummy! Thank you for sharing your mom's recipe!