Monday, October 5, 2009

Day 828: fall flowers


I never quite made it to the farmers' market to look for sunflowers on Saturday morning. Instead, I spent three hours on the patio at my favorite Starbucks catching up with two friends (and hanging out with Maddie). Better than an even trade, I think.


But I did get to add some pretty fall flowers to the house. Goldenrod is blooming all over the place, and I cut these from behind the pizza place near our house (side-of-the-road weeds are my favorite!).


They're so fluffy, and I love the burnt-yellow color. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that they haven't shed a bit while sitting in the vase. Best of all, they are f-r-e-e.


The same hydrangeas that were blue in the summer are now green with red-purple tips.


This is a great time to cut them for drying. They hold their color well when picked late in the season, when the petals feel papery. The method that has worked best for me is to leave them in the vase until the water evaporates. Doesn't get much easier than that.


And I was so thrilled to find some of the beautiful flowers that I admired on a trip to California in May. Erica helped me i.d. them last week, and I was thisclose to ordering them online when I spotted a few plants at a local garden shop.


I've been obsessed with Mexican sage since I spotted it here, at a hillside hotel along Highway One near Big Sur. It was so huge, and has a romantic, cottage-garden feel to it. It's also drought-resistant, which is great for the sunny beds on the front of our house.


I especially love the velvety flowers. What did you do this weekend?

15 comments:

LindsB said...

my mom does the same thing with all her hydrangeas and they come out perfect everytime- I love the first photo the flowers look perfect there!

paula said...

I am drying my hydrangeas too. Where did you find the mexican sage. I have been wanting more for my front yard. Mine are transplants now.

megan @ a life's design said...

i am loving your 'free' flowers. i will have to keep my eyes out for some around here. i can't wait to have a yard on day!

Jennifer said...

paula -- I found them at Leaf'n'Petal, our fav place! (the one in Mtn Brook Village) I'd check soon if I were you, people were snatching them up!

bluehydrangea said...

Your flowers look great!! and that Mexican sage is the best. Wonder if I could keep some alive..?

Adrianne said...

Is your mirror from Pottery Barn? I spotted one there and I think it's the same. Do you like it?

Jennifer said...

Adrianne -- Mine is from a local shop, but it's made by Uttermost. I think it's called Brayden Arch. I love it!

erika said...

YEAH! So glad you found the Mexican Sage!!!

The Blushing Hostess said...

Beautiful and inspiring shots, just lovely - who needs the market after all, yes?

Leslie said...

Beautiful flowers! I've been obsessed with the sunflowers at my farmer's market for the last few weeks. My favorites are the bright orange ones!

Michelle Hughes said...

your photos are incredible!

SMiles!
Michelle

charmain said...

I've been obsessed with flowers since I did all my own at my wedding a few weeks ago (including purple hydrangeas). Not that I didn't love them before, but now I am especially into them. And we honeymooned in Big Sur, so I love your post!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That pitcher sets them off perfectly!

katiedid said...

Your golden rod is gorgeous! We have a huge Mexican Sage in the backyard which is in full bloom. You are right! It does very well in CA. Such pretty photos!!!!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

All of the flowers in your house look so great. My friend recently gave me some of her green/purple hydrangeas from her yard and I let the water dry up in the vase and now they look great. I just love them.

I'm off to look in my backyard now to see what I can find. I need to make my house look more 'fallish'.