Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 851: framed doilies


My mom used to have crocheted "doilies" around her house. In high school, I remember thinking they were atrocious -- not to mention a pain to dust around. But framed in front of black (like these, in Kristen Cunningham's bedroom), they are pretty cool, and would be a great way to use a small family heirloom that might otherwise sit in a closet.


Look closely, and here they are again, this time framed between pieces of glass. Another way to appreciate their lace-like quality without bringing out their granny-like qualities (though myself, I love a little "granny" now and then).

Eddie Ross -- of course! -- has another great way to use them: dye them a color that you already have in your home.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do not think I actually own a doily - but I love these on black! Wonderful graphic impact - this treatment gives them an exotic look.

Kristin Forbes-Mullane said...

great idea! Love it on the black..

paula said...

I have a piece with our name in it that we got for our wedding. I framed it. My husband thinks its awful, but I just adore it.

Design Esquire said...

Oooh, I love that first image.

Dina said...

I nver liked them either when I was little but now I have a bunch from my grandmother and of course think they are so cool! Oh how we change!

Anonymous said...

I just love this idea! My mom purchased a lace doily for me during a trip to Italy's famous Burano Island this summer -- This seems like the perfect trendy-but-classic way to display it!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I have a ton of old, yellowed doilies from my grandmother. Never thought to dye and frame them- make them a piece of art!

Catherine said...

I bought a beautiful hand-made lace handkerchief recently and I haven't done anything with it but just stare at it in awe. It is absolutely a work of art! And such an artistic expression of women from a bygone era. xoTrina

Apryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dayka Robinson said...

I just bought 3 doilies a few weeks ago and have been looking for the right frame to hang them in--thanks for the post.

Jehania said...

I just found you site and this has given me ideas of what to do with the doilies my mom had. Thank you!